Good deal for Millermatic 175 mig on Ebay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
    I am thinking like sberry on this one...turn it off and bust off the knob.
    Don, since Miller didn't make the process of switching between either mode just a flip of a switch I doubt owners of the unit will have a tendency to flip back and forth. Question, which knob do you want them to bust off, Voltage or wire speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Don, since Miller didn't make the process of switching between either mode just a flip of a switch I doubt owners of the unit will have a tendency to flip back and forth. Question, which knob do you want them to bust off, Voltage or wire speed?
      Awwww...you know what I meant. I was sorta speaking metaphoriclly. Turn it off and leave it off...and never turn it on ever again......better?
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
        OK here shines my lack of knowledge ....

OK - so it 'adjusts' the wire speed as voltage is adjusted.

What is bad/good about it?

I assume my MM210 does not have it as there is no mention in the manual?

Nope, thankfully, the MM210 is WST free. Take a look on Ask Andy or Hobart and do a search on wire speed tracking...you will find quite a bit. Basically, the WST automatically advances or reduces the wire speed when you change the voltage. You really won't know where you are if you change the voltage much. If you wanted a little more voltage and not wirespeed, you would have to add the voltage and then reduce the wire speed since the WST just raised it as the voltage went up. It can drive you nuts. I didn't have much trouble with it on steel, but it drove me nuts on alu.
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
          Nope, thankfully, the MM210 is WST free. Take a look on Ask Andy or Hobart and do a search on wire speed tracking...you will find quite a bit. Basically, the WST automatically advances or reduces the wire speed when you change the voltage. You really won't know where you are if you change the voltage much. If you wanted a little more voltage and not wirespeed, you would have to add the voltage and then reduce the wire speed since the WST just raised it as the voltage went up. It can drive you nuts. I didn't have much trouble with it on steel, but it drove me nuts on alu.

Don,

Thanks - yeah I did a search and I understand now what it does. I think it would sorta drive me crazy as I am working on increasing weld penetration in some situations, like inside corners on angle frames. I am happy to not be using a machine with WST, I like to make changes myself and see what affect that change has. If the machine made them on the fly I might never learn what really worked and what didn't.

First project is a welding table - legs/frame all 1 1/4" x 3/16" angle, top is 2'x4' 1/2" thick plate. Putting caster/wheels on this puppy is gonna be a trick. I want large diameter wheels to be able to roll over a gravel driveway from time to time.

Comment

WST is not that bad, i think it was adopted to help the beginer keep the welder inside functional peramiters easyer. i supose it makes the perfect sweet spot a lil harder to find but at the same time it makes a good spot real easy to find. so for a beginer, just trying to get some stuff fixed around the house its a good thing, wile thouse that already know what to do to get it right find it a bit dificult as they strive for the perfect sweet spot rather than just a nice spot to get the job done.
            it has its merits just as it has its haters.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
              WST is not that bad ... it has its merits just as it has its haters.

Yeah just like Flux Cored wire, some swear by it, some swear at it.<--- I like it when the wind is blowing and the smoke disappears.

Comment

Working...
              X