Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum welding

Hello every one i was just wondering if any one has welded aluminum ith a stick welder and is it possible.

They do sell aluminum rods, but when i tried had no luck. I use T.I.G for thin or M.I.G for thick stuff.

Comment

Can be done

Hello all,

I have done this many of times back in high school. We were using 6011 or 6013 rods on a Miller welder set to 80A and some Tig rods. Basically we started the arc with the stick and then pulled it back till the arc was just about gone, then layed in the Tig rod.

Takes some practice, but can be done easily enough. Good luck.

We were taught this trick to help repair some of the shop stools instead of brazing them with the torches. (Our Tig welder didn't work half the time.)

Bill
      Last edited by blybrook; 11-07-2006, 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

I've done some Al SMAW. I keep a few rods on the truck, too, for emergencies. It works, but requires DC and lots of practice. I would never recommend it as a process for something on purpose.

Comment

Lots of practice as already said and they are expensive. When i was 18 i used them quite a bit on castings. But now 30 years later i have a mig...Bob

Comment

if you want nice looking beads or welds i would go with a mig or definately tig. i welded aluminum stick before and it wasnt pretty. its possible but not pretty.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.