Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Tight places

Tight places

Mig welding in tight places. We are welding rotors for a micro hydro electric turbine. The rotor looks a lot like a heavy duty squirrel cage fan but the spaces between the blades is tight. The space is less than 3/4 inch and the blades are curved like on a squirrel age fan. My M-15 mig gun can fit in but there is no room to angle it to weld in the corners. Now we bend our stick rods and weld around the corner. I would sure like to use the mig if possible. Have thought of trying to bend the tip to throw the wire off to the side or add a finger to the end of the tip to bend the wire side ways after it is out. Any body out there who has ideas? AlG

• vin-man welding
    replied
    FusionKing: is not that he's dug up old post's it just took that long for his dial up to finally get the answer on line. he is from Maine.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    MKSWelding has dug up a slew of these old threads in the last day or so. Check it out
    I played with momma today instead

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Man I bet the OP is really happy to see that after 2 1/2 long years someone finally came along and solved his problems
    Never mind the fact that it has been so long ago that he isn't even a MEMBER anymore!!!

Leave a comment:

• sailor
    replied
    millermatic xr-15

This is an old unit hooked to a extended reach wire feeder. (push pull system) It has a mig flex add on thats about 10'' long and will bend to about 60 degrees. Theres also some 8'' long tips bent at a 45 degrees, I've used these for flux core. Theres also some 3/4'' id copper tube, 5 1/2 '', bent at a 45 degrees that the 8'' tips fit in nicely. I haven't figured out how this last set up hooks to the gun, I'm thinking theres a part or two missing but haven't needed it yet. I'm 95 percent sure this is all factory miller stuff, but have no way to talk to the original buyer.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    This is the kind of thing that begs for TIG with a gas lens and flexi head. You can get that thing into places you never thought of.

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    I guess you could take a pice of copper and weld in on the nosal to redirect the wire. thats all i can see working.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X