Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight places

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight places

Mig welding in tight places. We are welding rotors for a micro hydro electric turbine. The rotor looks a lot like a heavy duty squirrel cage fan but the spaces between the blades is tight. The space is less than 3/4 inch and the blades are curved like on a squirrel age fan. My M-15 mig gun can fit in but there is no room to angle it to weld in the corners. Now we bend our stick rods and weld around the corner. I would sure like to use the mig if possible. Have thought of trying to bend the tip to throw the wire off to the side or add a finger to the end of the tip to bend the wire side ways after it is out. Any body out there who has ideas? AlG

I guess you could take a pice of copper and weld in on the nosal to redirect the wire. thats all i can see working.

Comment

This is the kind of thing that begs for TIG with a gas lens and flexi head. You can get that thing into places you never thought of.

Comment

millermatic xr-15

This is an old unit hooked to a extended reach wire feeder. (push pull system) It has a mig flex add on thats about 10'' long and will bend to about 60 degrees. Theres also some 8'' long tips bent at a 45 degrees, I've used these for flux core. Theres also some 3/4'' id copper tube, 5 1/2 '', bent at a 45 degrees that the 8'' tips fit in nicely. I haven't figured out how this last set up hooks to the gun, I'm thinking theres a part or two missing but haven't needed it yet. I'm 95 percent sure this is all factory miller stuff, but have no way to talk to the original buyer.

Comment

Man I bet the OP is really happy to see that after 2 1/2 long years someone finally came along and solved his problems
          Never mind the fact that it has been so long ago that he isn't even a MEMBER anymore!!!

Comment

MKSWelding has dug up a slew of these old threads in the last day or so. Check it out
            I played with momma today instead

Comment

FusionKing: is not that he's dug up old post's it just took that long for his dial up to finally get the answer on line. he is from Maine.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.