Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

miller bobcat on a hitch?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller bobcat on a hitch?

I want to put my welder on a hitch. It needs to move up and down.

cool put up pictures when you are done!

Comment

do you mean put it on a frame that goes into a receiver tube hitch on a truck?if so should not be to hard of a fab job. just build a frame for it and put 4 jack legs on it. keep us posted thanks garth

Comment

I haven't looked real close at one, but you might take a look at the lift/carry devices for electric four wheel mobility scooters. They are about the same size and weight as a Bobcat. They're the closest commercially built item I can think of to get ideas from if you are wanting a single point lift.
        Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 10-25-2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

You are going to want to see what the toung waight rating on your hitch is. it plays a key factor. You might need a bigger hitch. Anything is possible tho.

Comment

Yeah check your hitch class.

I beleive standard ClassIII can take 350 pound tongue weight.

If it is a 'weight distributing' Class III I beleive 500 lb. Be careful here as I recall this type of hitch works in conjunction with bars on a trailer to distribute the weigh thus increasing the Tongue Weight. The physical hitch under the vehicle would have 2 long bars that extend and mount forward of the rear axle.

Also note that Tongue Weight would be weight measured on the ball in a normal mounting configuration. Moving the weight felt on the hitch farther back may decrease the rating.

They make 'racks' that slip into a trailer hitch as you may know. I have one and rarely use it, because the ends 'droop' a bit from the weight.

The more I think about what yer doing ... the more I think a trailer would be wiser.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.