Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig Sheilding gas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Sheilding gas

I seem to be going through Argon very quickly while using the Miller Sycrowave 200. I'm using an 80 cubic inch bottle and the regulator pressure is set around 23. I have been welding 3/16 inch thick angle iron and making 3 or 4 inch welds at a time. I'm due for a refill now. The last refill was a month ago. Does Tig use more gas than other methods (Mig).

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
    I seem to be going through Argon very quickly while using the Miller Sycrowave 200. I'm using an 80 cubic inch bottle and the regulator pressure is set around 23. I have been welding 3/16 inch thick angle iron and making 3 or 4 inch welds at a time. I'm due for a refill now. The last refill was a month ago. Does Tig use more gas than other methods (Mig).
    Yes, concidering pre & post flow. Also I think that between 10 & 15 CFH should be enough flow in most cases. After my first 80CF tank was done I traded right away for a 150CF, cost of a refill is a bit more but it lasts a lot longer.

Comment

For 3/16" angle, the method of choice for me would be MIG first, stick, second, and TIG last. Your will use more gas in TIG than the other methods...another factor in your TIG is the type of collet body or gas screen lens, on your torch. I run mine around 15cfh to 20cfh. Too much gas will cause eddying in the gas field and suck in air...that's a no-no.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.