Welding Cast Iron?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MontanaMan View Post
    I'm also working on building a bigger air compressor (about 25 cfm @ 90 psi) for low bucks: watching ebay and craigslist for compressor pumps and motors, and I'll use an old galvanized steel water pump tank for the air tank.
    Those old-style water tanks are massively heavy ... definitely strong enough to handle 150 psi.
    I built a compressor tank out of an old tank of unknown origin, it was a 600L tank, and it was quite massive. When filling it with air, one of the welds must have failed. A fraction of the tank remained in the garage, the rest made a hole in the wall and disappeard. I was standing almost right beside it when it blew. Can't remember a thing. The blast knocked me out.

Make sure you check that the tank is pressure rated, and DON'T EXCEED.

Hint: If the tank fails, go look for it in your neigbours backyard.

Comment

MontanaMan befor using the tank for air pressure hydrotest the tank to maybe 150 to 200% of what you will be using for working pressure. Using a water tank is real riskey business. You might not be as lucky as Alky. If I am telling you something that you already are aware of please excuse me.

Where I worked one time we had a pressure tank, that had an acid in it, rupture and killed four men.
      Don't ask me to do a dam thing, I'm retired
      Miller Syncrowave 250
      Linclon Idealarc sp 200
      Thermodyne Econo-pak50
      Victor O/A tourch.

Comment

I would just find a place that rebuilds commercial shop compressor and buy a tank, less hassle, because of liability issues they won't sell you a bad one.

Jerry
        Last edited by jfsmith; 09-17-2006, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input ... I think you guys are right about the water tanks. I've been doing more research, and there have been a lot of accidents with "unknown" tanks. First, I was thinking of using a Wel-Xtrol 60-gallon water tank, which is rated at 125 psi, then I thought an older, thicker galvanized tank would be better. But ... 125 psi is shaving it too close, and an old galvanized tank is too much of an unknown. It's probably safe, but why risk it? My daughter might be walking past this thing when she gets older.

A better option, I think, is to use empty Freon tanks. They are guaranteed to have no water in them, and they have only been used once. And best of all, they are certified rated at 250 psi -- the same as air compressor tanks. Only downside is that they are small ... I think the biggest one I can find locally is an industrial sized one which is about 25-30 gallons. You can usually get them free from HVAC service contractors.

Also ... a key component of tank safety is draining the tanks religiously. Even on my little nail-gun dual-tank compressor, I installed 2 ball valves to make it easy to drain the tanks, and I drained them after each use. It's suprising how much water comes out on a humid day.

Comment

tank drain

Here's a little trick I found to regular tank draining....

I don't know who decided that those little wing-nuttish looking drain valve are adaquate, but I shure don't like them. I remove them and replace them with a spring loaded drain valve designed for air brake storage tanks. Then you can leave the cord hanging to the side of the tank and just give it a yank as you pass by. After all, that's exactly what those little $5 parts are intended to be used for. I don't consider myself lazy, but any convienece I can work into my day, I'm all for it.

Also, I'll throw this out there and see what happens...I know a lot of people (maily small shops/hobby garages that plumb their air systems with PVC pipe....DON"T!!! while pvc has a pressure rating suitable for most air systems, they are designed for fluids, not gases. I know people that have gotten many year's service out of them, but I wouldn't risk it. If a plastic pipe ruptures, there will be hundreds of little pvc arrowheads flying about the shop. Not to mention the fact that they can get brittle in cold weather (oh and decompressing gas has a tendency to chill them down as well)

Just an FYI I thought should be out there.
            -SSS
            Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 09-18-2006, 08:44 AM.
            Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
            Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
            1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

Ring is in the mail.

MM your ring is in the mail. Glad to have helped...Bob
              Attached Files
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Well ... that's the prettiest looking ring I've seen in a long time ... :-)

Thanks Bob, and let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.

Comment

Cast Iron.

The shape of the cast iron drill press part looks like it could be fabricated out of some pipe and other metal pretty easy or have a local machine shop make one. Or like some of the others have said, Hi nickle rod or wire and pre-heat and post heat , cool very slowly. Good luck

Comment

Cast welding

You must pre heat the casting 350 to 500 deg F
                    with out delay the welding must take place very quickly after pre heat
                    You must also Lightly peen the weld after each bead and alternate the welding on both sides. you must grind out both sides making a 60 to 90 deg bevel
                    you can use 7018 because your break is not moer than 60% of the casting
                    Now here is the fun part what cast rod are you going to use?????
                    there is Aws category RCI , ECI , EST AND ENI cast rods
                    good luck

Darmik

Comment

just my 2 cents

There is a lot of good quality cast rods on the market I would vee out one side and bolt it back up .Then i would postion tack on the press remove it to the bench weld it up ,all this time the peice is pre-heated to about 100 degees ,or as hot as comfortable to handle >check it a couple of times for fit up,Vee the other side and weld up The whole time gently peening let it cool slowly and youll be good to go till your new peice comes in!
                      smokin ana grinnin for 20 years
                      Owner MARKS MOBILE WELDING
                      trailblazer 302
                      hobart suitcase mig
                      miller 30a al spool gun
                      laramy plastic welder
                      brocco cutter
                      pipe beveler
                      all walter hand tools

Comment

cool slow

alwase preheat and let it cool slowle. keep the torch on it and let it cool slowle

Comment

welding cast iron

it can be done & i do it all the time when i need to with good results...i take nickle base stainless steel stick rods,beat the flux off,sand it down good & clean...clean the cast iron up & V it out real good with a bevel...preheat with the oxy/ace torch & tig it back just like you would Stainless steel...it can be done

Comment

Montana Man;

It may be cast steel. Not a whole lot of stuff is made out of cast iron anymore. Cast steel will weld much bettter. If it's Chinese... who knows?

I take it you are from Montana or in Montana. I was born in Sidney, Mt.

Good luck. Sounds like you've got some guys to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by kmomaha View Post
                              Montana Man;

It may be cast steel. Not a whole lot of stuff is made out of cast iron anymore. Cast steel will weld much bettter. If it's Chinese... who knows?

I take it you are from Montana or in Montana. I was born in Sidney, Mt.

Good luck. Sounds like you've got some guys to help out.

This is a 2 1/2 year old thread. Even tho much of the info is still relevant many of the people on it have not been back on here forever. They are not gonna answer you back.
                              MKSWelding has dug up about of a dozen or so of these now

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                              X