Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum welding

I going to start working on 16 ga alum pieces. In general is everyone using pure tungsten (green color) or something else. Welding with a Syncrowave 200.
    Last edited by gearhead; 08-19-2006, 01:57 PM.

I like to use the brown band, it seems to be a little more forgiving.

Comment

When you say forgiving, do you mean a more stable arc or something else..

Comment

I think the arc is more stable at peak amperage. The ball does'nt seem to dance around as much as the green or yellow. Also, when you dip your puddle, it seems to re ball itself and not just crust over like some tungstens will. Of course for critical welds you should always regrind the tungsten after contaminating.
        I am no authority on aluminum welding, it's just some things I've discovered through the years.

Comment

Scrap the green, go with either Ceriated for AC and DC or Zirconiated for AC and Lanthanated for DC.

Comment

Isn't the ceriated the orange band.

Comment

To all who gave information thanks for the help. It put on track....Gear

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.