Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig welding gas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding gas

Need to buy some shielding gas for my new tig welder. Call the local welding shop and the rep told me I could use CO2/Argon mix (the same gas mixture I use in my Mig welder). Is this true, the rep said he has never used a tig machine before, so I really had some doubts about his information. I need some advice on which gas to buy. The manual states Argon is the one for Aluminum, SS and mild steel. I will be practicing on mild steel and SS for right now, any help on the right gas would be appreciated....

Originally posted by gearhead
    Need to buy some shielding gas for my new tig welder. Call the local welding shop and the rep told me I could use CO2/Argon mix (the same gas mixture I use in my Mig welder). Is this true, the rep said he has never used a tig machine before, so I really had some doubts about his information. I need some advice on which gas to buy. The manual states Argon is the one for Aluminum, SS and mild steel. I will be practicing on mild steel and SS for right now, any help on the right gas would be appreciated....
    Like the "Manual" says, 100% argon is the gas you want to use for tig on SS, MS & aluminum.

Comment

Local "welding" shop

You can also use a coat hanger in a pinch for stick welding, I'd find a different local resource for advice....

Comment

Gases

Argon is the only gas you should be using allthough you can use heluim

Comment

The manual states 100% Argon. Its that simple.

Comment

Ur website

Originally posted by JHCHOPPERS View Post
            The manual states 100% Argon. Its that simple.
            Looks like I should have visited your place, I have been within spitting distance a million times!! Nice work on the bikes, wish I still lived in the area, would love to p[ick your brain!!

Carefully

The Mushroom

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.