Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Repair to Excavator Boom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding Repair to Excavator Boom

    I have a mini excavator - Volvo EC25 and there is a small crack on the corner of the boom. It runs approximately 1 along the side and 1 across the back. It is just above a thumb clevis plate that was welded on a few years back. My intent is to remove the paint, V-groove over the crack, drill holes at terminations of the crack and weld with 7018 rods. Am I overlooking anything? Should/can I grind the weld flat?

  • #2
    Originally posted by BrianK View Post
    I have a mini excavator - Volvo EC25 and there is a small crack on the corner of the boom. It runs approximately 1 along the side and 1 across the back. It is just above a thumb clevis plate that was welded on a few years back. My intent is to remove the paint, V-groove over the crack, drill holes at terminations of the crack and weld with 7018 rods. Am I overlooking anything? Should/can I grind the weld flat?
    You say boom, do you mean dipper? the thumb wouldn't be attached to the boom. Did the welding of thumb stress the dipper? Might it be made of ductile iron?
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

    Comment


    • #3
      Last one I did was an Hitachi 200, they snapped the dipper in 2. I gouged it out, preheated, welded with Hobart Excel Arc 71 dual shield and then plated it. The maniacs have been snapping trees with the shear since I fixed it and we have no problems to report.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
        Last one I did was an Hitachi 200, they snapped the dipper in 2. I gouged it out, preheated, welded with Hobart Excel Arc 71 dual shield and then plated it. The maniacs have been snapping trees with the shear since I fixed it and we have no problems to report.
        Nobody local sells Hobart electrode. Is there a generic designation for Axcel Arc 71, or can it be had online?
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes you can buy it online or most LWS can order it. It is Excel not Axcel.

          Other manufacturers have similar wires also.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

          Comment


          • #6
            E71T-xx, dual shield
            Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 4956 View Post
              E71T-xx, dual shield
              If you're willing to argue for beer, you would go to war for cider!
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MMW View Post
                Yes you can buy it online or most LWS can order it. It is Excel not Axcel.

                Other manufacturers have similar wires also.
                Sorry typo. Mrs. B was trying to drag me out the door.
                Dynasty 280DX
                Bobcat 250
                MM252
                Spool gun
                Twentieth Century 295
                Twentieth Century 295 AC
                Marquette spot welder
                Smith torches

                Comment


                • #9
                  Answer to your question, Yes you can grind it smooth provided you have a great root pass.

                  If your not experienced doing root passes like a pipe welder than your better off leaving the weld on there to compensate for a bad root pass.

                  It is however a good idea to round your corners.

                  Some will call it a Dipper or stick or Dipper Stick.

                  When they really lay the boom or stick open, I prefer to add bracing on the inside and grind smooth.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X