Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Beer Kegs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Beer Kegs

I have a couple of used stainless beer kegs that don't work for holding pressure anymore. I was thinking of cutting the top off and repurposing the kegs. I want to make sure I cut the top off safely. Any advice? I know the health hazard of plasma cutting stainless. I am more concerned with not exploding the keg with heat inside of a pressurized vessel. The cut will be fast and accurate so that will get fresh air in quickly. I also plan to drill some holes in the side to weld in some threaded couplings. Maybe it would be best to drill first and then cut the top off so that I have good access to back purge for welding in the couplers?

Old Beer Kegs

We made some tricycles out of some kegs once and we drilled first. We were told to be careful of the spring loaded bearing in the tap area but we didn't have any problems. Looks like your on the rite path and weld on...

Comment

Tricycle? Awesome. Got any pictures of that?

Comment

Old Beer Kegs

Can you not just thread the tap part out? Then it's vented and good to cut? I got some kegs that just had an open top with threads. Also if your plasma cutting them fill it with water. It cuts down on the smoke and mess inside.

Comment

Old Beer Kegs

No I don't have any pic's. We built 5 or 6 for a local bar that were using them for games. Been a few years but the keg was the seat and two rear wheels then we built the front frame just as a tricycle is built only a little bigger.

Comment

I gutted the check ball (remove the spiral clip which holds the dip tube in, remove the tube, gut it, then reinstall the tube) and used a tap (cheap off Ebay) to connect to a spray head. I drilled a hole in the keg top then fished a tire valve (metal type) through it so I can air it up. I fitted a second valve stem without the internal valve. When I fill the keg through the dip tube using a funnel I leave the metal valve stem cap off so air can vent during liquid fill. Don't skip that step. Pairs of valve stems are cheap at auto stores.

I use is to wet down areas outdoors before welding and when I get around to making a cart for it I'll spray weed killer.

Kegs make andy pressure tanks. I wish I'd done it years ago. Many dirt bikers use pressurised water fire extinguishers to wash mud off their rides etc and kegs would be even better.

Keg seals etc if needed are available online.
            Last edited by 1930case; 01-05-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I made an adjustable oil drain out of one.

Name:  5dc93cef45fdc2d168d44b72490ca647.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  39.6 KBName:  9b5067a0fe0a81385b18c0a736836770.jpg
Size:  36.1 KBName:  b92d00ce3418889eb0de999cea1780c9.jpg
Size:  45.3 KBName:  635573b4031317f299d73f85b4c3a8d7.jpg
Size:  29.8 KBName:  fdb09e497b08dbc233e332ae106c8c66.jpg
Size:  27.4 KB

Comment

Made a lid for it too.

Name:  f890162db9ba40405cab5ef1951d42e2.jpg
Size:  30.8 KB

I got the keg for free, the stainless bowl (free) was from the neighbors old dog water dish, casters (free) were from my brothers work that they were throwing out because they were last years outdated old style caster, the ball valves were used ($10.00) and the hoses and other stuff I had laying around the garage. Works great for being built in the cheep.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.