Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1200# implement and 1/2"x3" flat bar

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200# implement and 1/2"x3" flat bar

I have an implement for a farm tractor that weighs 1200#s. I'm building a three point hitch mount out of A36 flat bar that is 1/2x3". The flat bar has 1-1/8" holes drilled in it 1-1/2" from the back and 1-1/2" from the top and bottom for an outside edge distance if 15/16" all the way around. The implement is 7' long overall with the 1/2" flat bar sticking 6" past unit. My question is: will the (4) pieces of 1/2" flat bar with the 1-1/8" holes be strong enough to pull and LIFT the implement?

What kind of an implement? That will make a huge difference on weather or not it will be strong enough to pull it.

Comment

Pictures would help

Comment

Picture would definitely help. Are you making the 3 point hitch like what's on a rear blade ? What type of implement ? Here's a search I did that may help.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...itch&FORM=IGRE

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ents&FORM=IGRE

Comment

Landplane grader

The implement is a landplane grader. Ill attach some pics! The unit is 7'x7'. I plan on using (6)1/2x3"x12" pieces of bar across the front tube and attaching to the two center supports that are 32" apart.Name:  7dafdee682c0e37ad43f5e0765b2861c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  51.1 KBName:  cedbb86a2981add1e4217df1dca94987.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.3 KB

Comment

How big a tractor do you plan to use? I would keep the Cat II attachment as short as possible, not much more clearance than 1/2" behind the 3 pt. hitch arms in the pocket or if you need the extension for some reason maybe exterior gussets as far out as you can get without interfering with the pins. I don't know how heavy the tube is but the 1/2" x 12" reinforcement is a good idea I think. What are you using for the 3rd link?---Meltedmetal

Comment

Tubing size

The center link will be mounted on the same 4"x4"x5/16" tubing 20" up in between the two lower links. I will be using the same flat bar. The flat bar is cut in 12" sticks but at least 6" will be welded to the cross tube and overlap the two supports in the middle. Tractor is a 58 horse ih784. Keep in mind this is where the hitch will attach to the impement: A36 flat bar that is 1/2x3". The flat bar has 1-1/8" holes drilled in it 1-1/2" from the back and 1-1/2" from the top and bottom for an outside edge distance if 15/16" all the way around. these (4) pieces are where the lower arms will slide into an attach. overall lenght may be 12 inches but only 4-6 sticking past the implement itself.
              Last edited by ih784; 12-09-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

It sounds like to are gonna make something like what's on these ,
                http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Comment

You are correct BD1. I have the impelement built and it weighs a total of 1200#. I'm just not sure if what I have made, the (4) pieces of 1/2" flat bar with the 1-1/8" holes be strong enough to pull and LIFT the implement? The two grader blades I have will be cutting 1" below the skids at a width of 7'. I guess I'll put them on there and try it. If it doesnt work I'll cut them off and buy some 5/8"x4" flat and go again.

Thanks guy for your time!

John

Comment

I would expect that with 70 horsepower you will not have too much of a problem. The next question will be "Is your tractor big enough?" Looks good so far.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Should be no problem. I would definitely run steel from the top link connection point down diagonally to help transfer some of the stress when lifting.You will not have a problem lifting it for sure. If you do, GO GREEN, John Deere Green that is. Just had to say, my 2440 ,750 , plus lawn tractor. I do have a '' M''
                      and Super H .

Comment

Crops are green tractors are red

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                        Should be no problem. I would definitely run steel from the top link connection point down diagonally to help transfer some of the stress when lifting.You will not have a problem lifting it for sure. If you do, GO GREEN, John Deere Green that is. Just had to say, my 2440 ,750 , plus lawn tractor. I do have a '' M''
                        and Super H .
                        Thanks BD1! I will run the diagonal out of a piece of 3/8x4"angle. I was concerened about the 15/16" edge distance. But I'm thinking it won't be a problem. As for a big enough tractor. 58 hp at the draw bar and it has 250# wheel weights on the side. It should put me ove 6000 for the overall weight. There is a formula to calculate HP needed for a given implement size,weight,width. It's gonna be close depending on how deep I cut with the grader.

Comment

It looks like you have plenty of room, if you are worried just go to a bigger/thicker flatbar. Additional cost is marginal. Also easy enough to double up the metal where the lower hitch pins bolt to, just cut a square, drill a hole in the center, bolt the hitch pins in, and weld the sides.

One thing I will stress, if you are using bolted in lower hitch pins (vs a clevis type connection), make sure you get them tight!!! Over the years, I see more failures due to loose hitch pins wobbling holes out than from inadequate metal.

Comment

You should be good to go. Just look at the manufactured ones for more ideas. Pictures make it so much clearer . This internet stuff is amazing, saves weeks of traveling to go look at them .

Comment

Clevis connection

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                              It looks like you have plenty of room, if you are worried just go to a bigger/thicker flatbar. Additional cost is marginal. Also easy enough to double up the metal where the lower hitch pins bolt to, just cut a square, drill a hole in the center, bolt the hitch pins in, and weld the sides.

One thing I will stress, if you are using bolted in lower hitch pins (vs a clevis type connection), make sure you get them tight!!! Over the years, I see more failures due to loose hitch pins wobbling holes out than from inadequate metal.
                              It will be a clevis type connection. I do like the idea of doubling up the material sort of a big square washer welded to the existing material. I used the 1/2" cuz that's what I had. I don't do near enough fabrication to justify another 21' stick in the garage. But four pieces of 1/2"x3"x12" flat bar welded100% to the unit on both sides at a length of 8" with a 4" overhang for hitch hook up should be ample with the use of those big ass washers.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.