Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fencing

    So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

  • #2
    I do very little cheap fence, but when I do it is about $90lf. There is a guy here doing pool fence for $15lf. I don't know what would posses him to do it for that low a price.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money
      Syncrowave 250
      Millermatic 210
      dialarc 250
      spectrum 375x
      trailblazer 302
      Lincoln 135

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
        So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.
        To me it says more about the customer than you...if that is the going rate.
        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
        Just For Home Projects.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
          That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money
          You go in partners with some other guys and buy a container load from China. They can make good money at $15.00 per foot when you think they're basically buying sheets and sending two know nothings out with 110 volt flux core migs and a portaband.

          Pool companies do it all the time, so do fence companies. Clients see black iron and know it is wrought iron that's good enough for them.

          One of my favorite stories involves the client that calls me up for a gate repair. I ask what the problem is. "That lil finger looking latch thing broke off the gate. How much to weld it back on?"

          "I have a $200.00 minimum on those kinds of repairs sir."

          "Bad word Bad word and more bad words, I didn't pay that much for the gate."

          nuff said.
          life is good

          Comment


          • #6
            Using 1" sq and 1/2" sq .o49 tube it can be done. He must use cheap paint too. It cost me about $10 a foot for materials using 1 1/4 065 with 1/2" 065 sq. I only know that because I ended up bidding some as a favor to a friend. Ten bucks a foot for materials, ten for making it, and ten a foot to install, so 30 a foot is as low as I would go, and that for a friend.

            Comment


            • #7
              fencing

              I think this guy will come back it's for a commercial property. And one of the other local guys called me to ask about it. He knew that I had bid
              Syncrowave 250
              Millermatic 210
              dialarc 250
              spectrum 375x
              trailblazer 302
              Lincoln 135

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.

                Any pictures of the finished job?
                syncrowave 250
                millermatic 140 with spool gun
                350 dully with 225
                spectrum 375
                lateral band saw
                14in vertical band saw
                14in cold cut saw
                and now a 24x40 shop

                ALL THE STUFF I HAVE BUILT

                www.facebook.com/studiostevens

                Comment


                • #9
                  stopped bidding it

                  I flatout wont bid railings, or fences. First its nearly a waste of time as few people are willing to pay for quality, the work that is done is horrible, cheap product, unskilled labor, and poor installation. I to have been asked to fix what the installers do, and normally charge a premium, as it annoyes me when people take the lowest bid, then want the lowest bid to fix it! Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
                  Kevin
                  Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                  Ln25
                  Miller spectrum 625
                  Miller 30a spoolgun
                  Wc115a
                  Lincoln 210mp
                  F550 imt service truck

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                    Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
                    Kevin
                    Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Seriously. I'm a general contractor, if I never took a job with some sort of risk I would never be able to work. Everything has some sort of liability. Handrails are an area where I do my own metal fab and I can charge a fortune for it compared to a wood system.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        fencing

                        Not sure how to add the pics. From my phone at the moment but they are on the website. Kmweldinglv.com. If anyone wants to look
                        Syncrowave 250
                        Millermatic 210
                        dialarc 250
                        spectrum 375x
                        trailblazer 302
                        Lincoln 135

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          agree, but

                          Originally posted by walker View Post
                          Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.
                          You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
                          Kevin
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            fencing

                            I get it I had legal troubles with that a few years back. The wood which I secured the railing to has rotted and the railing fell over. Took a lot of effort to make it go away
                            Syncrowave 250
                            Millermatic 210
                            dialarc 250
                            spectrum 375x
                            trailblazer 302
                            Lincoln 135

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                              You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
                              Kevin
                              Not paying well and liability too high are two different things. I don't do cheap work. Won't bid cheap pool fence, or cheap railing. Not because of liability, but because I don't like doing it. I like getting paid well for quality work. I have gotten stuck doing standard pool fence on bigger jobs, where it was part of a lucrative contract. If the work I did didn't pay well I likely wouldn't be doing it. I also won't do some work based on risk. If the risk is much higher than the payout I won't do it. In fact, several times I have called my insurance guy to discuss risk on jobs, and twice have taken out a rider on a particular client or job to ameliorate risk on a good paying job. I wouldn't do that on a cheap job, but likely wouldn't accept a cheap job that had high risk.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X