No announcement yet.

fencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I quote a price I usually get the "Good lord man I wanted it out of iron not gold". Such and such quoted me $35lf. I end my conversation with ask to see his workmans comp and general liability insurance. A couple weeks later I pick up the deposit check.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      I do very little cheap fence, but when I do it is about $90lf. There is a guy here doing pool fence for $15lf. I don't know what would posses him to do it for that low a price.
      no liability insurance
      no workmans comp
      no overhead (workshop/equipment)
      no unemployment insurance
      no skill
      when you pay peanuts you get a circus!

probably plugs his buzz box into the neighbors outlet and works in the apartment building parking lot. its easy to work cheap when you have to!

Comment

Tryagn5, I have to side with walker on this one, I have been doing handrails and 42" guard rails for 25 years without any major problems that I can think of.

I would have to say based on the type of work I do, That hand rails are minimal risk if done right.

I'm charging anywhere from $65.00 - $ 125.00 per ft. depending on how much they need.

Tryagn5, I do have to agree that most people wont pay that so I try to pre-qualify them over the phone before I will even look at the job because a lot of people think that its a #300.00 job.

I wont even look at a residential rail unless they are willing to spend at least
        $ 1,200 and thats just the 2 rails going down 2 steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
          Tryagn5, I have to side with walker on this one, I have been doing handrails and 42" guard rails for 25 years without any major problems that I can think of.

I would have to say based on the type of work I do, That hand rails are minimal risk if done right.

I'm charging anywhere from $65.00 - $ 125.00 per ft. depending on how much they need.

Tryagn5, I do have to agree that most people wont pay that so I try to pre-qualify them over the phone before I will even look at the job because a lot of people think that its a #300.00 job.

I wont even look at a residential rail unless they are willing to spend at least
          $ 1,200 and thats just the 2 rails going down 2 steps.
          Would you mind posting some of the 125 per ft jobs you do so I could get an idea of what it looks like?

Thanks
          syncrowave 250
          millermatic 140 with spool gun
          350 dully with 225
          spectrum 375
          lateral band saw
          14in vertical band saw
          14in cold cut saw
          and now a 24x40 shop

ALL THE STUFF I HAVE BUILT

www.facebook.com/studiostevens

Comment

A forged twist (localized, not a twisted picket), and a forged top detail ( simple taper or flame)will put you at $125 a foot pretty easy. Solid steel pickets, especially 5/8" or 3/4" gets spendy fast as well. To figure it out, just take the base price for you plain 90$ fence, and add in each detail times 3. You can get an idea of the price difference per picket by looking in the King catalog. I do all of my own forge work, so there is also that totally unique/custom aspect to every job.
            Last edited by walker; 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
              A forged twist (localized, not a twisted picket), and a forged top detail ( simple taper or flame)will put you at $125 a foot pretty easy. Solid steel pickets, especially 5/8" or 3/4" gets speedy fast as well. To figure it out, just take the base price for you plain 90$ fence, and add in each detail times 3. You can get an idea of the price difference per picket by looking in the King catalog. I do all of my own forge work, so there is also that totally unique/custom aspect to every job.
              Very nice, I hope I can pick up a job like that!
              syncrowave 250
              millermatic 140 with spool gun
              350 dully with 225
              spectrum 375
              lateral band saw
              14in vertical band saw
              14in cold cut saw
              and now a 24x40 shop

ALL THE STUFF I HAVE BUILT

www.facebook.com/studiostevens

Comment

The one I did recently, with 3/4" pickets, 60" tall weighed in at 400+ pounds per 10' section. We couldn't get equipment in there as they did the landscape first, and it was a hard rock dig for the post holes. There were several hundred feet of it. Doing the twists, and top details is fun work, but after a thousand times it starts to get old. So be careful what you wish for. The pay did make up for a lot of the inconvenience!

Comment

Sorry marine 7, I have a new computer so my pictures are scattered in different areas, I cant even do current pics.

My $ 125.00 per ft fence has some fancy caps on 2" square posts, 4" round circles under the top rail and 5/8" solid square pickets, There are 3 horizontal tubes.

The black smiths in my area get even more per ft. There are some great Blacksmiths in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

I don't even try to compete with those guys.

However, when it comes to stainless or aluminum rails they usually shy away from that type of work ( Different types of tools.)

Comment

Working...
                  X