Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

fencing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fencing

So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.

I do very little cheap fence, but when I do it is about $90lf. There is a guy here doing pool fence for $15lf. I don't know what would posses him to do it for that low a price.

Comment

That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money

Comment

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
        So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.
        To me it says more about the customer than you...if that is the going rate.

Comment

That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money
          You go in partners with some other guys and buy a container load from China. They can make good money at $15.00 per foot when you think they're basically buying sheets and sending two know nothings out with 110 volt flux core migs and a portaband.

Pool companies do it all the time, so do fence companies. Clients see black iron and know it is wrought iron that's good enough for them.

One of my favorite stories involves the client that calls me up for a gate repair. I ask what the problem is. "That lil finger looking latch thing broke off the gate. How much to weld it back on?"

"I have a $200.00 minimum on those kinds of repairs sir."

"Bad word Bad word and more bad words, I didn't pay that much for the gate."

nuff said.

Comment

Using 1" sq and 1/2" sq .o49 tube it can be done. He must use cheap paint too. It cost me about $10 a foot for materials using 1 1/4 065 with 1/2" 065 sq. I only know that because I ended up bidding some as a favor to a friend. Ten bucks a foot for materials, ten for making it, and ten a foot to install, so 30 a foot is as low as I would go, and that for a friend.

Comment

fencing

I think this guy will come back it's for a commercial property. And one of the other local guys called me to ask about it. He knew that I had bid

Comment

Any pictures of the finished job?

Comment

stopped bidding it

I flatout wont bid railings, or fences. First its nearly a waste of time as few people are willing to pay for quality, the work that is done is horrible, cheap product, unskilled labor, and poor installation. I to have been asked to fix what the installers do, and normally charge a premium, as it annoyes me when people take the lowest bid, then want the lowest bid to fix it! Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                    Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
                    Kevin
                    Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.

Comment

Seriously. I'm a general contractor, if I never took a job with some sort of risk I would never be able to work. Everything has some sort of liability. Handrails are an area where I do my own metal fab and I can charge a fortune for it compared to a wood system.

Comment

fencing

Not sure how to add the pics. From my phone at the moment but they are on the website. Kmweldinglv.com. If anyone wants to look

Comment

agree, but

Originally posted by walker View Post
                          Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.
                          You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
                          Kevin

Comment

fencing

I get it I had legal troubles with that a few years back. The wood which I secured the railing to has rotted and the railing fell over. Took a lot of effort to make it go away

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                              You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
                              Kevin
                              Not paying well and liability too high are two different things. I don't do cheap work. Won't bid cheap pool fence, or cheap railing. Not because of liability, but because I don't like doing it. I like getting paid well for quality work. I have gotten stuck doing standard pool fence on bigger jobs, where it was part of a lucrative contract. If the work I did didn't pay well I likely wouldn't be doing it. I also won't do some work based on risk. If the risk is much higher than the payout I won't do it. In fact, several times I have called my insurance guy to discuss risk on jobs, and twice have taken out a rider on a particular client or job to ameliorate risk on a good paying job. I wouldn't do that on a cheap job, but likely wouldn't accept a cheap job that had high risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.