Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Bike Rim Repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike Rim Repair

I had a rim dropped off with a buckle and a crack on the welded seem.
    These should not be attempted and I do not recommend anyone try this kind of repair.
    Cleaned up the area and veed out the crack.
    Placed the rim in a press and removed the buckle.

JI
    Attached Files

Not to bad looking.
    Much stronger now.
    Reinforced on the tyre side.

Ji
    Attached Files

Comment

Still looks wavy and off to me.

Comment

Yep its not perfect but its good enough for $50
        It takes longer to sand it smooth than anything else.
        When you think about it a new rim cost $200 and to have some one lace new spokes cost $100 and new spokes cost $200 its not bad bang for your buck

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
          Yep its not perfect but its good enough for $50
          It takes longer to sand it smooth than anything else.
          When you think about it a new rim cost $200 and to have some one lace new spokes cost $100 and new spokes cost $200 its not bad bang for your buck

Ji
          Nice Work..!!

Still very curious as to the brand and model TIG machine that you are using...

know that choices and machine availability is different down there.. Pics??

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post

These should not be attempted and I do not recommend anyone try this kind of repair.
            JI
            If it should not be attempted and you do not recommend anyone try this. Then How Come YOU Did It?

Comment

It is a risky repair for both the welder and the rider.

Ji

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                If it should not be attempted and you do not recommend anyone try this. Then How Come YOU Did It?
                For the challenge and 50 bucks I expect, but the liability lives on. Lawyers are making us afraid to work, but I won't go any further there or it will turn into a long post. Nice looking work there. Did the damage occur right at the original seam in the rim? Or is that line across the rim part of the repair?---Meltedmetal

Comment

Yes I started 4 years ago testing on rims.
                  They were rims I owned and used.
                  After some testing I am happy to repair certain rims.
                  There is a lot more to the repair than just welding.
                  There is only one bike guy here doing it on all that come through the door and he charges $200. This is still cheap because with a new rim there is still the spokes and lacing to pay for.

Yes right on the original welded seam.
                  There is a video that shows them being rolled to a circle and then clamped and welded all in one go. Pretty cool to watch.

Ji

Comment

I used to do a bit of off road biking but that was a long time ago and I was very tame compared to what I see people doing today. I preferred off road to on road though.
                    I also watch some of the "how it's made" videos from time to time. What always amazes me is how cheap some stuff is when you consider the huge capital investment required to make something as simple as say bolts.
                    Anyway you do nice work there. You obviously enjoy that as well.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Hi Meltedmetal,
                      We ride dirt bikes every two weeks.
                      We camp over the weekend and ride both days.
                      Great fun.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am also amazed at how much is spent on doing a simple job like filleting fish.
                      The machine involved is just crazy, costs a fortune and I have no idea how someone sat down and worked it out.
                      Pure genius.

Ji

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.