Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about some rectangle steel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about some rectangle steel

I just recently had a chance at some free 2 x 8 x 3/16 rectangle. I've got 4@13' and 5@8'. I've always wanted to build a heavy duty dump trailer one day. Would this material be adequate for say a 12,000 lb trailer frame at 10' long?

I plan on buying plans online and having a real welder friend come over and weld it for me once I have most of the material together. Any help would or opinions would be appreciated.

This is is my first post although I've been lurking for a year or so.

I could make that work for what you want...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      I could make that work for what you want...Bob

Well that is good news then. It means that it's actually possible to make a proper dump trailer from the material I have. I'm asking because I located tandem 6000lb axles with rims, leafs, equalizers, rims, tires, brakes for $400 and I'm picking them Thursday. Long way to go still but will take the deals while I can get em and store it. thanks for any help. I enjoy reading here and learning whatever I can. I will try to post a pic of the add for the axles.

Comment

Here is link to some formulas.

I'm sure the answer to your question is somewhere in here,
        but it seemed like rocket science to me and I had to re-boot my brain after looking.

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Leaguedude View Post
          I just recently had a chance at some free 2 x 8 x 3/16 rectangle. I've got 4@13' and 5@8'. I've always wanted to build a heavy duty dump trailer one day. Would this material be adequate for say a 12,000 lb trailer frame at 10' long?

I plan on buying plans online and having a real welder friend come over and weld it for me once I have most of the material together. Any help would or opinions would be appreciated.

This is is my first post although I've been lurking for a year or so.
          This was fun... I am a mechanical engineer (1982 U of Texas Longhorn ). Here is what I assumed:

12000 lb load uniformly distributed over Two (2) Rect Tube rails (on 2" edge) - one on each side of trailer frame.

Worst case 60" of Rect Tube cantilevered 60" off axle (i.e. single axle in middle of trailer)

Max stress is only 28.4k PSI right above single axle in this worst case imaginary model.

Deflection at end of rail would be 0.21 inches

Low carbon steel yields (i.e. bends irrecoverably) at 53.7k psi and breaks at 63.8k psi - you have a safety factor of at least 2X.

Since you are using two axles, no way you can exceed these numbers. Sounds like it will be a fine trailer.

Just for grins, I ran numbers with 2 X 6 rect tubing and the max stress shoots over 60k psi giving it almost zero safety factor. Beam Depth (i.e. going from 6 to 8 inch) matters.

Have fun and post pictures!
          Last edited by rickwjenn; 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
            Here is link to some formulas.

I'm sure the answer to your question is somewhere in here,
            but it seemed like rocket science to me and I had to re-boot my brain after looking.

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_calc_menu.shtml
            Thanks for the link. Very helpful, not sure if I'm going to be able to figure it out on this one! Should come in handy later, maybe something simple. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rickwjenn View Post
              This was fun... I am a mechanical engineer (1982 U of Texas Longhorn ). Here is what I assumed:

12000 lb load uniformly distributed over Two (2) Rect Tube rails (on 2" edge) - one on each side of trailer frame.

Worst case 60" of Rect Tube cantilevered 60" off axle (i.e. single axle in middle of trailer)

Max stress is only 28.4k PSI right above single axle in this worst case imaginary model.

Deflection at end of rail would be 0.21 inches

Low carbon steel yields (i.e. bends irrecoverably) at 53.7k psi and breaks at 63.8k psi - you have a safety factor of at least 2X.

Since you are using two axles, no way you can exceed these numbers. Sounds like it will be a fine trailer.

Just for grins, I ran numbers with 2 X 6 rect tubing and the max stress shoots over 60k psi giving it almost zero safety factor. Beam Depth (i.e. going from 6 to 8 inch) matters.

Have fun and post pictures!
              Thanks Rick for the educated response to my question and in taking the time to explain your calculations. 1982 U of T? I was 11 in 82, seems like a long time ago.lol

I will get some pics up soon. I'll probably have a ton of questions but I'll try to take some good pics. Next is deciding what plans to buy and if my 180 mig will do the job. I am able to borrow a stick welder if needed. This is going to be a slow winter project so bear with me.

Any help or or advice is welcomed. Great forum!
              Last edited by Leaguedude; 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaguedude View Post
                Thanks Rick for the educated response to my question and in taking the time to explain your calculations. 1982 U of T? I was 11 in 82, seems like a long time ago.lol

I will get some pics up soon. I'll probably have a ton of questions but I'll try to take some good pics. Next is deciding what plans to buy and if my 180 mig will do the job. I am able to borrow a stick welder if needed. This is going to be a slow winter project so bear with me.

Any help or or advice is welcomed. Great forum!
                You are welcome. Yes - I got my Mech Engr degree in 1982 - was 21 then. Been a good ride.

I think your Miller 180 will work just fine. Have fun!

Comment

Well I've been super busy with life and work so I haven't had time for much but I wanted to keep this alive because it's high on my priority list. Here are some photos of the axles and steel I have so far. Hopefully more to come soon....

Name:  fbbbaf5e873bf5ecf0f40e55cd5cb4a2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  62.6 KBName:  6db716917cb6dd12c5773a39c131edb8.jpg
Size:  67.6 KBName:  e1263dfd85842d963cfeb71aa8814ac4.jpg
Size:  65.2 KBName:  8ba1af9fd3b05e9bbb1c74b0a8522317.jpg
Size:  68.2 KB

Comment

Sorry about the sideways pic's. I hope these are better....

Name:  c93fffa641f465803abdf834b8a89b43.jpg
Size:  62.9 KBName:  03312c6e857cc0884ba21f919615d366.jpg
Size:  67.8 KBName:  c073d57220e958c64a7fb3a0f03aa783.jpg
Size:  65.3 KBName:  ff15146dae3dcffee8461c067a6e6f9c.jpg
Size:  68.7 KB

Comment

Oh Yeah! You have a fine trailer in the rough there. Axles looks very strong and you could build a small bridge with the rectangular box steel!

Pls post more pix as you start the project.

Comment

The biggest thing is to make sure you have good trailer brakes, As far as hydraulice, I would use a gas engine and set it up like a log splitter, That was the best move that I ever made with mine.

I never have to worry about the battery being charged.

Comment

Lots of decisions to make still. It's going to be a slow process as a spare time project but I've made some progress on the trailer. All welds done with my 180 mig using .035 flux wire. My settings were max amperage and 4 wire speed. Any input or ideas are welcomed. here are some pictures...
                          Name:  8a79881f8df5de9135aa9ecfeb57466c.jpg
Size:  62.7 KBName:  9799f521abdd3c26a4995b6a5ec7c131.jpg
Size:  53.9 KBName:  7b3c431ec65050fd7df693db56e20416.jpg
Size:  61.3 KB

Comment

Looking good so far from looking at the pictures on my phone. Why use flux core?

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                              Looking good so far from looking at the pictures on my phone. Why use flux core?

I'm using flux core to hopefully get better penetration on my welds. That is the way I understand it anyway. Would mig be suitable in this application?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.