Next thing going on my rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more pics

It,s mounted couple of pics.Still need to plumb,fab and install tank,mount pto/pump.And mount outriggers but getting closer.
    Attached Files
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I think the 20 gallon is way over kill for that size unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        I think the 20 gallon is way over kill for that size unit?
        I have a 3-1/2" dia. boom lift cylinder.a telescoping cylinder inside the boom 2 outriggers.Portable suggested this size and has about the same crane.S berry last thing I want is to build a tank and run dry and wipe out my pump.More will stay cooler correct?
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Admweld., To be honest with you I cant say that Sberry is wrong or not, I built mine back in 1999.

On the flip side I dont think that would have been something that I would have just guessed about.

I dont have hydraulic out riggers so yes, You will need more volume than me.
          __________________________________________________ __________________

What size are your mounting bolts and how many do you have.

My crane bolts down on a 3/4" plate with four 1" bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by admweld View Post
            I have a 3-1/2" dia. boom lift cylinder.a telescoping cylinder inside the boom 2 outriggers.Portable suggested this size and has about the same crane.S berry last thing I want is to build a tank and run dry and wipe out my pump.More will stay cooler correct?
            Better to have too much capacity rather than not quite enough. This larger quantity of fluid in the system will help to dissipate /absorb more heat. If over heating is a concern, you can weld some 1/16" plate rings around the outside of the tank to act as cooling fins like on an air cooled engine and or add an oil cooler in the return line to the tank.

Comment

In my experience over heating the oil for a crane on a service truck has never been a problem so cooling fins should not be needed.

Comment

I looked in some Dakota literature I have, and the 6000 uses a 16 gallon tank
                Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                  J hall I got no paper work at all.Could you e mail me what you got?Will send my e-mail to ya via private message thanks.
                  Last edited by admweld; 10-05-2013, 05:24 PM.
                  BB402D
                  TB300D
                  DIMENSION652
                  MM250X
                  MAXSTAR140
                  HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                    Admweld., To be honest with you I cant say that Sberry is wrong or not, I built mine back in 1999.

On the flip side I dont think that would have been something that I would have just guessed about.

I dont have hydraulic out riggers so yes, You will need more volume than me.
                    __________________________________________________ __________________

What size are your mounting bolts and how many do you have.

My crane bolts down on a 3/4" plate with four 1" bolts.
                    I have 8-7/8" bolts.And i,m bolted thru 4"x4"x1/2" angle which is welded down to my 3/4" plate on my deck.
                    Last edited by admweld; 10-06-2013, 02:48 PM.
                    BB402D
                    TB300D
                    DIMENSION652
                    MM250X
                    MAXSTAR140
                    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                      Jeff you got hydraulic up/dn outriggers also?I have not fabed my tank yet, but have 2 l shaped pcs 48"longx8"x16" legs.Could shorten it up to 40"or 36" to reduce my capacity if I want too.I just don,t want torun dry and am very nervous about it happening.What is you guys think?Want some opinions from a couple of ya,s?
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Admweld, Be carefull not to go with a small diameter piston for your out riggers, a small piston will easily take alot of weight but you need to think about the times when the foot is on unlevel ground or when the truck moves and its trying to bend the chrome shaft.
                        As I said in a earlier post I use ( 2 ) Bull dog tongue jacks for my out riggers.

Comment

Remember, the outriggers are two-way cylinders, oil will be coming in as well as going out (although not quite equally). I wouldn't worry too much about running dry, even your lift cylinder (probably a one-way) doesn't take a whole lot of capacity. You need to have enough oil that it doesn't heat up and break down too fast.

I remember, a few years ago, I built a large manure spreader box, I made a "V" shaped hydraulic tank, suction on the bottom (the "point" of the V), supplied both the gate and the chain drive (hydraulic motor). Customer was notoriously cheap, this is a large box on a three-axle Pete, all he needs is two gallons of oil (in a 20 gallon tank!!!) and it won't cavitate or suck air. I don't know if it overheats or not, but normally the unloading only takes five minutes or so.

Also, when was the last time you weighed your truck? I know you have an F450/550, but it's easier than you think to get overweight. I had an IHC 1900, 32,000# GVWR up till a couple years ago, unless I watched it, it would get overweight (like me). And I never put a crane on it.
                          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                            Admweld, Be carefull not to go with a small diameter piston for your out riggers, a small piston will easily take alot of weight but you need to think about the times when the foot is on unlevel ground or when the truck moves and its trying to bend the chrome shaft.
                            As I said in a earlier post I use ( 2 ) Bull dog tongue jacks for my out riggers.
                            I got the outriggers that came with the crane body it was mounted on.The guy I bought it from cut them out of the truck.I got the p side mounted I,m workin on the slide out d-side now.Heading to the shop now to get a ck in mailbox.Iwill snap a pic of what I got and post for ya,s.Thanks for the heads up portable anyhow.I think I am ok?
                            BB402D
                            TB300D
                            DIMENSION652
                            MM250X
                            MAXSTAR140
                            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                              Remember, the outriggers are two-way cylinders, oil will be coming in as well as going out (although not quite equally). I wouldn't worry too much about running dry, even your lift cylinder (probably a one-way) doesn't take a whole lot of capacity. You need to have enough oil that it doesn't heat up and break down too fast.

I remember, a few years ago, I built a large manure spreader box, I made a "V" shaped hydraulic tank, suction on the bottom (the "point" of the V), supplied both the gate and the chain drive (hydraulic motor). Customer was notoriously cheap, this is a large box on a three-axle Pete, all he needs is two gallons of oil (in a 20 gallon tank!!!) and it won't cavitate or suck air. I don't know if it overheats or not, but normally the unloading only takes five minutes or so.

Also, when was the last time you weighed your truck? I know you have an F450/550, but it's easier than you think to get overweight. I had an IHC 1900, 32,000# GVWR up till a couple years ago, unless I watched it, it would get overweight (like me). And I never put a crane on it.
                              Its heavy joe.I just got quote from a spring shop I,m friends with the owner.He going to add 2 leafs o the p-side and take out the single top helper and add a 4 stack helper pack.Diside getting 1 leaf to the main pack and the 4 pack on top also as a helpers.Everything parts and labor $850 going next week.I got to get in on a scale I know I,m running heavy but have not been stopped or weighed in all the yrs I been running.Now with the crane on it maybe a different story it does look heavy that why I,m getting springs so it don,t look bad going down road.I got a 550.
                              BB402D
                              TB300D
                              DIMENSION652
                              MM250X
                              MAXSTAR140
                              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Here in Cal and Nevada, we worry about the commercial cops that drive around in pickups, they carry their own portable electronic scales. It used to just be the highway patrol, more and more cities want the dollars from fines, so everybody is doing it now. And yes, I have been stopped and weighed. Time lost, for full inspection and weighing both axles, two or three hours . Never a ticket, but at least the cop can fill out his production report.
                                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                                X