Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need final project ideas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need final project ideas

I'm taking a welding diploma course in college now. I need a few ideas for a project at the end of the semester. It will count as 50% of my final grade and i have no idea what to make. Nothing big or expensive being i am broke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

May as well build items you'll be using afterwards. Pipe stand/jack stand? Cheap and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ByerlyJ View Post
      I'm taking a welding diploma course in college now. I need a few ideas for a project at the end of the semester. It will count as 50% of my final grade and i have no idea what to make. Nothing big or expensive being i am broke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any ideas.
      Needs to be something fairly unique. something that will catch the instructors eye and make him say **** thats cool and deserves an A.

Comment

I agree with wyoroy, I would build a very thought out stand for a bench grinder or something. But put pins or clips to hold extra disks, tools for swapping the disks, etc. I think it's a great opportunity to make yourself something that will be useful after school.

Comment

I need final project ideas

What are the specs for your final project???

Comment

where do you live? I want a custom steel bumper for my truck. I'd buy the materials if you have the stuff to cut, bend and weld.
            Last edited by franklin40; 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Pipe jacks are a good idea, and infinitely useable. Chopsaw stand, welding table, running gear for your welder, hose reel (hand crank is fine), pivoting adjustable work light boom. Table, chair (inside or outer shop), desk...

Comment

If you like welding and are going to continue on, then I would lean toward the equipment end of the list, otherwise just make something nice for inside your house.

Comment

Originally posted by ByerlyJ View Post
                  Actually this is pretty tough. Nothing big or expensive takes out a lot of those great ideas and I'm not being sarcastic, those are really good ideas. But they still cost some money when you have no materials at all.

Then again 50% of your grade? Crap, you would think it has to be something that's going to take a couple trips to the scrap yard.

If you go to simple your grade my be at risk. I would be asking for a little more detail from the instructor about how much you can personally afford for you situation.

If your in a bind, try a hat rack or coat rack. You can find some rusty railroad spikes around tracks at bridges or high banks. They don't try and recover them in hard to reach places where they fall down the side in the gravel out from people also.

Cut em in half if need be use both halves on a piece of flat bar 2" wide or better. Bend some small round stock for a design on top or however you choose. Weld it up, use a wire wheel to clean it a little and paint.

Here is a simple version you could spiff up a little done with 2 spikes that were laying around here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hw about a picnic table and bench?

URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/rivanisko4380/media/Welding%20Projects/RelayforLifePicnicTable010.jpg.html][/URL]

Comment

ByerlyJ,

A few questions to help with some ideas,

1 - What processes has your course covered?
                      stick, mig, tig, oxy-fuel (cutting, hard soldering, brazing) , plasma, submerged arc,

2 - What do you believe your instructor wants to see?
                      and does your project need to showcase all of these processes.

2a - Even smooth welds, good fit-up - (craftmanship)?

2b - Clever design ideas or new concepts.? (Easier said than done - Apple is a good example)
                      I'm no help here otherwise I'd be rich.

2c - Does your instructor have a particuar interest? (trains, planes, automobiles)
                      (ok - may be a bit of apple polishing here)

Materials used in your project?
                      You mentioned nothing big or expensive.

I don't know what process you have available for your project but - here are a few ideas -

(Tig) - Stainless steel - use common silverware - cheap at thrift stores.
                      Pots, pans, spoons knives, forks.
                      Show how you can run small, even tight welds without burn thru or sugaring.

(Tig, stick, mig) - project better suited for thicker material here.
                      Make a name plate or sign using weld bead like the wood names routed out of wood.

Combine processes - plasma cut several different designs into a few plates and weld into a fire pit having 4, 5 6 or more sides.
                      (If plate is too expensive, buy a small Weber bowl type bbq and cut designs into the lid.)
                      Make sure it is painted steel and not porcelainized for oxy-fuel cutting.

Good luck
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt hands View Post
                        ByerlyJ,

A few questions to help with some ideas,

1 - What processes has your course covered?
                        stick, mig, tig, oxy-fuel (cutting, hard soldering, brazing) , plasma, submerged arc,

2 - What do you believe your instructor wants to see?
                        and does your project need to showcase all of these processes.

2a - Even smooth welds, good fit-up - (craftmanship)?

2b - Clever design ideas or new concepts.? (Easier said than done - Apple is a good example)
                        I'm no help here otherwise I'd be rich.

2c - Does your instructor have a particuar interest? (trains, planes, automobiles)
                        (ok - may be a bit of apple polishing here)

Materials used in your project?
                        You mentioned nothing big or expensive.

I don't know what process you have available for your project but - here are a few ideas -

(Tig) - Stainless steel - use common silverware - cheap at thrift stores.
                        Pots, pans, spoons knives, forks.
                        Show how you can run small, even tight welds without burn thru or sugaring.

(Tig, stick, mig) - project better suited for thicker material here.
                        Make a name plate or sign using weld bead like the wood names routed out of wood.

Combine processes - plasma cut several different designs into a few plates and weld into a fire pit having 4, 5 6 or more sides.
                        (If plate is too expensive, buy a small Weber bowl type bbq and cut designs into the lid.)
                        Make sure it is painted steel and not porcelainized for oxy-fuel cutting.

Good luck
                        Now I like that kind of stuff. I would love a rubic cube done up like your dice. Got me to thinking. Here is why,

THis is me
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vIhRA9nVw

The spoons were cool also. everything was, thanks

Comment

project

make a couple beer or coke can holders for when you are b b queing
                          google it I make mine out of 5/8" round and horse shoes or hand cut texas cut outs to hold bottles sold a few and gave out a few

Comment

horse shoe welder

Try this out, horseshoes are cheap and very easy to weld.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.