X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvilTig
    started a topic stick keeps sticking!

stick keeps sticking!

Hey everyone my name is Wil and I'm new to stick welding. Now every time I start a work peace mostly overhead I stick every time I start. I use a 1/8 7018 I try the tap way and the scratch and I keep the machine around 118, help please...

• strictlycarved
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

I love the atom arc but very pricey

Leave a comment:

• zonker
    replied
    I use atom arc 7018 never had a problem sticking

Leave a comment:

• EvilTig
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

Ok guys I'm done with the stick part of my school I got it down pretty good now but only time makes you a pro at it so I'm gonna keep going with it at least 4 times a week cause we are now in mig welding so at the end of the day ill knock out some groove welds with stick.. Thank for the help..

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilTig View Post
    Add Content
    Practice...Bob

Leave a comment:

• EvilTig
    replied
    Add Content

Leave a comment:

• strictlycarved
    replied
    Practice. Lots of it. I get a strip of metal and just strike till I get steady again.

Leave a comment:

• EvilTig
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

Ok how about open v groove either I stick or I blow holes and I try short whips and long ones..

Leave a comment:

• Rhazel21011
    replied
    Run it at 125 or a bit higher and keep you arc length around an 1/8 inch. Its sticking because you are running it too cold.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    You should dip the rod in rod oil, that'll help. Old timers trick! !!

Leave a comment:

• EvilTig
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

I can see and by long arcing I mean striking the arc on the vice and carrying it to the work piece.. But I've been using my left hand now to hold the rod like you guys said and it works great..

Leave a comment:

• Hardrock40
    replied
    The advice abut using your free hand to hold the rod to help get started should do the trick.
    A lot of welders do that. I never did in the early days but I'll do it now in a second.

I also never used a remote control but how sweet that must be to be able to start hot then fine tune as you go.

Leave a comment:

• benweldingawhile
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

Long arc bad.... Keep you arc nice and tight, you have much better control of the weld pool. It sounds to me that you can't see. Change your body position and make sure not to reach. Got to be comfortable with a good field of vision, if not, overhead will be a constant struggle. Practice, practice, practice.........

Leave a comment:

• EvilTig
    replied
    stick keeps sticking!

I've been doing alot of long arcing but everyone keeps telling me not to do that. Do you guys know why?

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    All machine settings are different. Like it was stated, raise amps. Just because it says 120 it maybe only 110. 10 amps will make a difference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X