Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

stick keeps sticking!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick keeps sticking!

Hey everyone my name is Wil and I'm new to stick welding. Now every time I start a work peace mostly overhead I stick every time I start. I use a 1/8 7018 I try the tap way and the scratch and I keep the machine around 118, help please...

stick keeps sticking!

Try leaving one hand on the rod for more control on your start. As you get it started pull your hand off.

Comment

Thats good advice your hand is most likley wobbly and hence the stick

Comment

That's one of the reasons it's called "Stick" welding.

Comment

What brand of rod ? Is material fairly clean ? Is ground clamp close ?

Try running the rod tip across a flat file before using. there maybe a excessive coating on end. Try Lincoln Excalibur.

Comment

Or bump up the amps a wee bit.

Comment

Bump the amps up to about 125. You are using a DC machine right?...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                That's one of the reasons it's called "Stick" welding.
                Funny

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster:310981
                  Bump the amps up to about 125. You are using a DC machine right?...Bob
                  Crank it up to practice striking an arc, when you become better you can lower your amperage.

Comment

stick keeps sticking!

They are Lincoln rods, and yeah it's on DC+.. I always grind the steel down before welding so its pretty clean.. I'm gonna try the holding the rod trick..

Comment

stick keeps sticking!

It's the first thing you learn and you will never forget it. Sticking the rod that is. And ya turn it up to 125-130 ish scratch the rod a good couple inches ahead of where your gonna be welding and drag it back so when you get to the starting spot she's nice and hot

Comment

All machine settings are different. Like it was stated, raise amps. Just because it says 120 it maybe only 110. 10 amps will make a difference.

Comment

stick keeps sticking!

I've been doing alot of long arcing but everyone keeps telling me not to do that. Do you guys know why?

Comment

stick keeps sticking!

Long arc bad.... Keep you arc nice and tight, you have much better control of the weld pool. It sounds to me that you can't see. Change your body position and make sure not to reach. Got to be comfortable with a good field of vision, if not, overhead will be a constant struggle. Practice, practice, practice.........

Comment

The advice abut using your free hand to hold the rod to help get started should do the trick.
                              A lot of welders do that. I never did in the early days but I'll do it now in a second.

I also never used a remote control but how sweet that must be to be able to start hot then fine tune as you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.