Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealing Steel Welds on Stainless Steel art projects...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing Steel Welds on Stainless Steel art projects...

What would you use to 'seal' steel welds on stainless steel so that it slows or stops them from rusting? I am using steel wire on my stainless steel art projects.. I have noticed it takes no time at all for the welds to show rust and I want to slow or stop it with a sealer of some type.. any suggestions? (can't afford stainless wire just yet)....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2319618...n/photostream/

Steel wire?? Why aren't you using SS wire?
    CG

Comment

Originally posted by chewinggum View Post
      Steel wire?? Why aren't you using SS wire?
      CG

Nope.. I just started out about a month ago and I just had steel wire for the mig.. stainless was alot of money for me to invest in when I didn't know if I would like or even be good at what I am doing.

I had talked to a few ppl that said the steel wire would be ok, but that I should seal to help them from rusting so quickly..

Comment

To answer your question you'll need to prep the surface by scuffing & cleaning. Then apply a clearcoat or paint.

But you should be using stainless wire & tri mix gas unless you want rust or discoloration.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
          To answer your question you'll need to prep the surface by scuffing & cleaning. Then apply a clearcoat or paint.

But you should be using stainless wire & tri mix gas unless you want rust or discoloration.

Crud.... I have argon/co2 mix, I would have to switch that out too??? ****..

Comment

Argon/co2 will work but it is not the right gas & again you will be losing some corrosion resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
              Argon/co2 will work but it is not the right gas & again you will be losing some corrosion resistance.
              oh well.. it is garden art after all.. rust will probably enhance the look..

Comment

Spray with deft or other clear lacquer. After paint prep of course.

Comment

I bought a roll of stainless wire from Airgas which is formulated to use with 75/25(so they say).Have not tried it yet.

Comment

Airgas SS wire formulated for 75/25?

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                    I bought a roll of stainless wire from Airgas which is formulated to use with 75/25(so they say).Have not tried it yet.
                    Please give us the name/designation of this wire, since
                    this assertion by Airgas flies in the face of the metallurgy/chemistry
                    of SS welding with high CO2 content gas.

I'm not bashing-you, I'm very curious to know more particulars about
                    this claim.

From my own experience-this wouldn't be the first time that Airgas has touted things that just ain't-so.

Comment

Originally posted by dave powelson View Post
                      From my own experience-this wouldn't be the first time that Airgas has touted things that just ain't-so.
                      Like the Aceteyne shortage/price gouging.
                      I did see a new mig welder and the door sticker read for welding SS use 75/25 gas. But i don't remember the maker only that it had a blue case...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                        Is it by any chance gas shielded stainless flux core? Take a look at the Lincoln Stainless Steel welding guide as well as their gas shielded stainless flux core wires.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by jrasche2003 View Post
                          I just started out about a month ago

stainless was alot of money for me to invest in when I didn't know if I would like or even be good at what I am doing.
                          Don't know if you've read into welding stainless much, but you might want to invest in some sort of respirator / fume extraction system if your going to mess with welding stainless steel much. It puts off nasty fumes containing Hexavalent chromium which is not something you want to be breathing in.
                          Last edited by clint738; 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I checked the box, it is flux cored. Unibraze E 308L T.1
                            I bought it a while back to try it out but haven't yet.

Comment

jrasche2003,

I have .035 and .045 stainless solid wire on 12" spools and as I only TIG,
                              I can cut some for you to play with.

PM me and I will send it to you.

Don't know it it will work with your gas mix but the price is right - free.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.