Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

help me qoute job

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me qoute job

Name:  0e25731f8c9008e48e027c76244e7039.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.4 KB

Hey guys. this is on a 80' aluminum boat. Ive done some work on the boat so far, and may have a little more work after this. But basically whats in the plan view drawing is the transom of the boat. I would come off the back of the top deck and go a little past the bottom transom. Itll be around 2" 6063 aluminum pipe. Its about 9' off the deck of the boat. What do i charge for labor on this job. I figure materials will cost around $500 plus or minus. The boats about 15' wide, and the "gussets" going from the boat to the pipe is about 2' out. Thanks for the help, just trying to get some ideas. Pic link on top.....thanks.
    Last edited by westpoint; 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM.

Add Content

Comment

help me qoute job

I take my material then double it and add 30% maybe that'll help u

Comment

help me qoute job

If your not sure on hours sounds like 305g has a pretty safe bet

Comment

Re: hi

so 30 percent would be the labor?

Comment

help me qoute job

It's kinda a "cover your butt" calculation. What do you normally charge an hour? And what's your general markup on material? Personally in jersey I charge between 80 and 100 an hour for my side work?

Comment

Man this is crazy.. you will never learn anything this way. You learn by your mistakes just like everyone else. The only thing im gona tell you is if your worried about bidding a job then you either dont do it or over bid it. I learned that by under bidding a few jobs when i first started out. Im not trying to be a jerk about it... its just when i see this kinda thing its very disapointing.

Comment

help me qoute job

In my opinion it's smarter to learn from others mistakes rather than waiting around to make your own. Just my 2c

Comment

If you are not sure, then bid it time and materials.

Comment

help me qoute job

I totally agree with Weldon...

Comment

2x plus 30 sounds good.
                      If it goes well knock it down.
                      They always feel better when it's lees than the quote.

Comment

How to bid a job, You figure out the material 1st, Then break everything down into individual items and figure out how long each part takes, Then total the hours and then figure out what you want to charge per hour.

As for as doubling the material price, If you want the job I would reconsider that one.
                        I typically add about 20 - 25% which is fair mark up.

On bigger jobs that are say over $ 3,000.00 -$ 4,000.00 I'll add about $ 200.00 for incidental things such as welding wire, shielding gas, fuel, , sanding discs.

Good luck and break everything down into individual items, On some things you might have less time into and other items take longer, If you do it this way you should never be way under or way over.

Comment

Bidding a job can be difficult especially when you DONT want to UNDER-BID but sometimes you dont know untill you get into it. If I were you I'd go with my hourly rate and 30% mark up on materials.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.