Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to MIG

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to MIG

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to mig welding. I just upgraded the lincoln wirefeed that I got in highschool to a Millermatic 135. I'm looking at building some stainless steel handrails and other various pieces for my boat.
    I will be welding 1" tube with a 0.065" wall thickness. Seems like most pros use TIG. Can 0.065" stainless be welded satisfactorily with a MIG? Any advice? How do I remove heat discoloration? The tube has a mirror finish, can I match the weld finish? If so how?
    Anyone have any experience and/or advice on bending 1" stainless?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

MKP,

Yes, you can get good results on stainless steel using the MIG process. I would suggest using either .030 or .023 stainless steel wire with a stainless tri-mix sheilding gas. As for the dis-coloration this can be sanded and/or buffed out.

If you have more questions on the welding of stainless steel please give Gary a call Monday at (920) 831-4895 and he can go into more detail with you.

I have never been involved with bending stainless steel tubing so I can't be of any help there.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin

Comment

Standard process for this application is to closely mitre or cope the tube to a precise fit and then autogeneous weld the tubes (no filler). This provides a smooth finish that can be buffed to a high luster that matches the parent material. The discoloration can be sanded with 400 grit before buffing to speed the process. Other alternatives are to use a hand held passivator system (such as SURFOX) to remove discoloration before buffing. MIG for this application will require some grinding and sanding to prepare the weld before buffing for a good color match.

In my shop I use a Hossfeld bender for this application and sand and buff the bendss to remove any scratches left from the bending operation,
        Last edited by calplus; 07-31-2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Welcome to mig, that was the first form of welding I learned, freshman year in H.S. when I started, I just practiced all the time and got better, the next year I decided to make a welding project and made a big work cart for my dad as a present. made outa 1" tubing, 16 g aluminum, some rebar, and yes, I did put some electrics on it (thats a standard for any project I successfully cranked outa the shop) if I had a camera id post pics. but none the less just weld, get better, read the welding library, take advice from better welders, you can get good doin that, and thats how I got my job at wisdoms.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.