Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum welding table HEAVY DUTY

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum welding table HEAVY DUTY

Hi, I started making a table out of 2"x6"x1/8" box aluminum. Im not sure what I should use as a top. What would a table like this be worth? And how can I make it as functional as possible? Thanks. Pics below.

Name:  eeb6a3845518d6cef12171611e828620.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  440afe4a8e841ac4b59d0a7b4a8e24ba.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  59.3 KB

Well, that would depend on its purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
      Well, that would depend on its purpose.

well thats what i need advice with. I am a welder, but never saw a all aluminum welding table. If I should throw 1/2" aluminum plate on top let me know........what would you do with this table?

Comment

Use a steel top... Spatter will kill you if you use aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank865 View Post
          Use a steel top... Spatter will kill you if you use aluminum.
          really? i see what your saying, but it seems such a shame to throw steel on top of this alum table.

Comment

Cover it with steel and comeback with a flapper disc and polish the crap outta it. Frank is right,splatter will ruin it and really break your heart.

Comment

personally, I would have never wasted that aluminum on legs for a welding table.

Comment

An aluminum table top would be good for small tig work or assembly work that needs to be handled carefully. Aluminum is soft so it would not mar/scratch the pcs. as easily. As far as a normal welding table I don't think it would have much use. To soft, will gouge easily, unable to tack pcs./fixtures to easily, expands/contracts at a different rate than steel.

#1) top material -- If used for general welding use a steel top.

#2) worth? -- As a welding table not much imo. Used welding tables don't command much money.

#3) functional -- Maybe polish it & put a nice wood top on it to use as a desk?

Comment

Yeah we had the material laying around. Still not sure what to do with it.....hmmmmm.

Anymore ideas? Like I said if you had this table what would you do with it?

Comment

If it were mine I would finish it out in alum and put my ole Tombstone on it with lead hangers and maybe a bench grinder or vise on it. Lots of crap hangers and a shelf or two for more crap.

Comment

What about stainless on top?

Comment

Originally posted by westpoint View Post
                        What about stainless on top?
                        Stainless if fine for a potting bench but will suck for a welding table. The spatter from steel will rust...Bob

Comment

I used a big SS top once, that thing would hold heat forever. It was on another table top so I put some short legs under it, still held the heat too long IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.