Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom stainless fireplace

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom stainless fireplace

well a few weeks ago i asked yall some questions about building a fireplace, come to find out this was a remodel and the fireplace insert was already there but it was in terrible shape. here are some pics of the job completed, replated/extended plated on walls, put in a new bottom pan, reworked the damper, build new clean out hatch, built new log gate & built stainless mantle

Looks good.

Comment

It looks nice. Not knowing much about installs on these I have a question. Is it normal to have the wood coming right to the edge of the opening? Assuming it was not cut away then the stainless is over the top of it? I would be concerned about fire.

Comment

i just moved the grate foward so you could see it in the pic, the fireplace was 36" deep so it wont be sitting that close when you are burning wood

Comment

Comment

No matter how deep the firebox is the wall ARE going to get hot.
            Regardless of how deep the firebox is the walls are going to conduct heat and absorb radiant heat.
            I dare you to get a good fire going and touch the front of the firebox.
            If your osb runs tight to the opening and is just overlayed with stainless you are going to end up with a slow smolder which will not end up in a "real" fire until you have gone to bed for the night or have left for the day.
            It looks nice hoping you are being safe and not a forthcoming statistic.

Comment

it is all brick around it and the osb board was cut out 1 foot around it studs were replaced with metal studs and cement board is installed where the osb was

Comment

That sounds a lot better.
                Happy burning

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                  Is it normal to have the wood coming right to the edge of the opening?
                  Originally posted by Waymack View Post

Right off the bat when I saw this picture I was concerned with the possibility of a fire long term.

Glad you replaced it with cement board and the wooden studs with metal studs. Sure beats having to worry about it in the future and second guessing yourself as to whether it would have been adequate in the long run without the extra fire prevention measures taken.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.