Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Needs Help..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noob Needs Help..

    Imagine that right?

    I have been working on art using sliverware welding and getting great results.

    Today I found a piece of thin sheet metal that I drew butterfly wings on , tin snipped them out, then I was going to tack them to a spark plug (for the body) I set my speed at 1, my amperage about 20-25 (anything lower I popped).. but at this amp I was burning through.. I got into a habit of 2 second bursts, is that maybe too long? Any ideas or is MIG not designed for this? I have Oxyacetylene but I don't really know how to use it-hubby bought it years ago and we both are way too uninformed about it and intimidated..

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    What power source were you using?

    Comment


    • #3
      What size wire are you using? I make silverware art too and found using .024 wire or smaller diameter wire worked best. Oxyacetylene would char the ceramic part of the spark plug. Try using stainless strips instead of steel to weld onto the plug. focus the puddle on the thickest section and let it "wash" up to the thinner piece. If you want to see some of my stuff let me know. Some of my stuff is copied, some is inspired. Hope this helps.

      Comment


      • #4
        May I suggest that you look into acquiring a tig machine. It appears to me that it would suit your requirements to a "T", and open up new vistas for the application of your artistic talents.

        Comment


        • #5
          Noob Needs Help..

          That's not your amperage setting that's your voltage. And on the setting is it a scale from 0-100 or an actual voltage setting or digital read out?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bobhdus View Post
            What size wire are you using? I make silverware art too and found using .024 wire or smaller diameter wire worked best. Oxyacetylene would char the ceramic part of the spark plug. Try using stainless strips instead of steel to weld onto the plug. focus the puddle on the thickest section and let it "wash" up to the thinner piece. If you want to see some of my stuff let me know. Some of my stuff is copied, some is inspired. Hope this helps.

            I am using the .024 for the silverware and it works fantastic.. however the project I was trying was very thin sheet metal to the metal on the spark plug. I have not had a problem doing silverware onto a spark plug... but this sheet metal just blows through at my very lowest settings..... So for this particular project I am using the Mig Hobart 125 with C25.. I brought my settings down to 1 for wire speed, and about 20-25.. where I could get a decent sizzle.. any lower I got pop pop pop.lol I got a couple shorter length zaps to hold so I think maybe that could be a clue too. Although I am trying to find ideas on brazing for these thin metals... but I can't seem to find anything on anything other than OxyA.. I have mapp gas and propane at my disposal (and of course the Oxyacetylene) Basically I want to make these garden art pieces but most definitely want them to work and look decent.. lol

            all you help is appreciated!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
              May I suggest that you look into acquiring a tig machine. It appears to me that it would suit your requirements to a "T", and open up new vistas for the application of your artistic talents.

              My hubby purchase the Mig and the OxyA years ago but really hasn't used it.. just recently I was motivated to learn it because I wanted to make some items to cheer up my mother who is going through chemo. I love crafting but I am impatient and like projects that come together quickly.. Welding seemed like a good choice. So I started watching vids and actually was able to teach my hubby a thing or two. haha I am on week three and my welds are getting better.. but there is just no budget for a tig right now... LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Manisoba View Post
                That's not your amperage setting that's your voltage. And on the setting is it a scale from 0-100 or an actual voltage setting or digital read out?

                You got me confused.. I have Hobart 125 My wire speed is knobs that are Fan and 1-4 and my other (that I thought was amps) are I think starting 20-100(at least I think that is the numbers printed on it, it's in the garage, i'm in the house right now). No digital read out. The welder is about 6 years old. I am using .024 wire and C25 gas.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Noob Needs Help..

                  Goto your local equipment rental store and ask to rent a TIG welder. Get it on a Fri and use it all weekend on your thin sheet and see if you like it or it suits your needs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Noob Needs Help..

                    I tried tigging on some spark plugs for some art and it constantly fumed up onto my tungsten from the material the plug is made of, which is why I stuck with mig. I weld stainless silverware pieces onto the plugs which the stainless melting point was better than steel so it took the heat better than carbon steel pieces. Clear coat protects from corrosion. It's just recycled art and mig welding two different types of steels is fine in this application. Plus, tig takes longer, and since I was selling my stuff, time is money.
                    Last edited by bobhdus; 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A tig machine is likely the worst possible choice you could make at this juncture. You are a novice welder, and TIG is a somewhat advanced skill.
                      SO lets solve your MIG issue before throwing you into the pit of boiling oil which is what tig would be like initially.
                      First off I would post a picture of what you are trying to weld, along with what machine you are using, what gas is in your bottle (just post what it says on the label), what CFM your gas is flowing at, and what you are welding, what wire is in your machine (again, just post the label details eg; er70s-6, etc), and what settings you are using.
                      I have a feeling that you are either trying to weld thin galvanized sheet, or possibly aluminum. First see if a magnet sticks to it, a picture should show the rest.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by walker View Post
                        A tig machine is likely the worst possible choice you could make at this juncture. You are a novice welder, and TIG is a somewhat advanced skill.
                        SO lets solve your MIG issue before throwing you into the pit of boiling oil which is what tig would be like initially.
                        First off I would post a picture of what you are trying to weld, along with what machine you are using, what gas is in your bottle (just post what it says on the label), what CFM your gas is flowing at, and what you are welding, what wire is in your machine (again, just post the label details eg; er70s-6, etc), and what settings you are using.
                        I have a feeling that you are either trying to weld thin galvanized sheet, or possibly aluminum. First see if a magnet sticks to it, a picture should show the rest.



                        Hobart 125 C25 Gas .024 steel wire gas flowing at 15- tried higher and lower.. no difference it seems. At my lowest settings I was still getting blow through and burning the sheet metal in this picture.. it is very thin.

                        After failed attempts I gave in to TRY braizing it.. first time and it was ok.. the wing on the left very strong on the right not totally strong, but after braising was able to go back and mig tack on the back of it to make it stronger.. this will end up in my garden after I figure out if I want to paint it or leave it as it really is bad.. lol I had to give up on the spark plug because it seemed that it wasn't getting hot enough .. hours later it appeared that something happened to the plug because it was warped on the bottom.. and when trying to use the tip for a ground (was going to reuse for mig and silverware), it wasn't grounding anymore.. so I think I ruined it.. So I moved on to this bolt, Mig welding the two bolts together then trying to braise the wings on....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Too high wire feed rate is a common problem for blowing through. On a weld like this you do not necessarily need to hear the traditional bacon sizzle associated with mig. On really thin materials I end up getting globs that "drip" into the material.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by walker View Post
                            A tig machine is likely the worst possible choice you could make at this juncture. You are a novice welder, and TIG is a somewhat advanced skill.
                            SO lets solve your MIG issue before throwing you into the pit of boiling oil which is what tig would be like initially.
                            First off I would post a picture of what you are trying to weld, along with what machine you are using, what gas is in your bottle (just post what it says on the label), what CFM your gas is flowing at, and what you are welding, what wire is in your machine (again, just post the label details eg; er70s-6, etc), and what settings you are using.
                            I have a feeling that you are either trying to weld thin galvanized sheet, or possibly aluminum. First see if a magnet sticks to it, a picture should show the rest.
                            Tig may have been difficult for you to pick up, but at start up I found tig on steel far easier than OA welding or brazing. How hard can it be to melt steel at the tip of tungsten? Pit of boiling oil? Really? Dang, I must have missed the boiling and the oil.
                            Last edited by Goodhand; 05-12-2013, 12:54 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              jrasche2003, I would suggest either O/A welding or brazing, but rather than try to attach the entire wing, just make a few tack welds. If you use Mig, same thing, but run your weld on the plug or bolt and let it wash over on the wings. Tig would be nice, but you already have the O/A and Mig, so make do with them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.