Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

collars for dumbell

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collars for dumbell

Hi, I wonder how they made the collars for this load able dumbell Handel.
    Attached Files

collars for dumbell

I made one before with 50mm/2 inch washers but they were a bit thin

Comment

collars for dumbell

The bar and Handel is 2iinch/50mm

Comment

There is too much paint on it to tell. Could be a casting, a forging, a welded assembly or machined from a large enough bar.--Meltedmetal

Comment

Could be lathed. the ones with thread on the ends are.

Ji

Comment

Here's better pics
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow...

Never have I seen something so simple be treated like it needs to be sent to NASA for analysis...!
              It is punched out of flat stock...like plate or bar.
              You can see the die marks on the edge...or punch marks, however you decide which one leaves them.

Comment

collars for dumbell

They cut from plate not punch if they are old it was oxyfuel. Newer ones are made using plasma or laser.

Comment

The discs are burned from plate. Either oxy/acet or plasma. My guess the ones in the pic are oxy/acet. With a burning machine doing a large qty. the cost would be cheap. To make just a few it wouldn't be profitable for resale.

Today plasma would most likely be used.

Comment

collars for dumbell

So they just plasma cut the holes out of a 1/2 inch 25mm plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman2000 View Post
                      So they just plasma cut the holes out of a 1/2 inch 25mm plate?
                      Yes.

Comment

collars for dumbell

Sound!

Comment

I would also say flame or plasma cut. Your later pictures show more detail. I sometimes lay a tape measure extended beside the part I am photographing to give a size reference in the photo. I find it helps when I refer to it later. I'm guessing you want to make some of these? Depending on how you are equipped and how many you want to make you could also machine them from solid bar or cut them from heavy walled tubing if you can find it in the right dimensions at a reasonable price. Plasma does do an acceptable job though.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Not that I can prove it but...

...I stick by my answer of "these are punched."
                            There is no way they would be cost effective "torched" out...for something so simple.

Comment

Cost effectiveness would depend on the equipment available and the number required. If I understand the Bossman, the center hole is 2 inches. They appear to be taller than they are thick and he says they are 1/2 thick so that would make the OD somewhere over 3 inches.
                              Meltedmetal

And my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I see torch marks. Haha. Mm

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.