Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by admweld:307287
    Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
    If ya look in my pics... pretty sure theres pics of a very simular repair on a pc 400.. ****. Since there is a komatsu dealer very close to me i do lots of work on them. They keep me pretty busy
    There,s a dealer about 2 miles from shop.And ive worked on few also for them.
    I see.. from your reply I kinda assumed this was your first time ever seeing anything like this.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
      Hayfarmer, The reason I used the backer was the day before I got there the rep had stopped by for something else & happened to discuss this with the mechanic. He described the way they fix it in their shop which uses the backer so that's what I did. I most likely wouldn't have backed it if it wasn't mentioned. The side plate was about 5/8" thick & the "ear" on the casting was about 1"? thick. The outsides were flush but the insides weren't. The 1/4" backer I used layed on the inside of the side plate & butted up against the casting "ear". The backer was hot rolled steel. I don't know for sure but I think the side plates are hot rolled steel also.

As far as stress risers, I'm no engineer so I couldn't begin to figure out if this will be one or not.

As far as ag vs. excavating equipment, I don't find them much different. At least with the newer ag stuff anyway.
      So you had some input going in to it. I would have liked that myself. Im not an engineer (at least that type) either and I wonder how some field decsisions are made. Im not sure I would want to make those choices w/o considerably more knowledge.

I have really no experience in heavy equipment so its a black box to me. I would have thought the arms on machines like that would be made from some high strength alloy.

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
        I see.. from your reply I kinda assumed this was your first time ever seeing anything like this.
        Ya i have not seen to much.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by admweld View Post
          Not just once either Joe.Five times.
          I'm amazed. There are 5 excavators in Delaware???????? And all of them cracked in exactly the same place????? No wonder they keep breaking there (a relatively low-stress point), they must be banging into each other every time they swing around. I suggest moving three excavators out of the state, thus leaving just enough room for the other two to work.

I would also suggest the resident "expert" concerning welding/repairs in that state, keep his mouth shut, otherwise some of the guys in neighboring states will realize how easy the competition is in Delaware. Heck, even I'm wondering. I came from Mass. originally, I'd have no problem going back. And "wire" isn't necessarily .035 hardwire, it's also the various dualshield wires and innershield wires, I can easily double or triple stick deposition rates, both flat or out of position.

My apologies to MMW, you posted a valid problem, and a correct solution to the problem. I admit, like you, I probably wouldn't have slugged the back of the weld, without specific advice to do so. With hindsight, I realize now this is probably the best way to approach this repair. Thanks for posting up, that's what this message board is for.
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Hmmmn..... obviously there is a manufacturers problem here.. i really didnt think much about it, nor did i think i would get a bunch of **** about it. Komatsu is having problems with their robotic welds cracking on the main boom is several places.. Not on their newer models but older. Every one i have repaired has been far out of warranty. Theres lots of quite large excavators in good ole delaware.. mostly due to all the sand and gravel pits. I also do a little for komatsu dealer in baltimore. Since i have done them before they usually call me, and volvo, and cat, and kubota.. they do too. Soon i will have the case dealer too... hopefully. I used to do all their work when i worked for welding by jackson. Now when i worked for jacksons.. **** i couldnt even tell ya how many boom repairs i made for komatsu. Its kinda become a specialty.

Comment

[QUOTE=JSFAB:307369]
              Originally posted by admweld View Post
              Not just once either Joe.Five times.
              I'm amazed. There are 5 excavators in Delaware???????? And all of them cracked in exactly the same place????? No wonder they keep breaking there (a relatively low-stress point), they must be banging into each other every time they swing around. I suggest moving three excavators out of the state, thus leaving just enough room for the other two to work.

I would also suggest the resident "expert" concerning welding/repairs in that state, keep his mouth shut, otherwise some of the guys in neighboring states will realize how easy the competition is in Delaware. Heck, even I'm wondering. I came from Mass. originally, I'd have no problem going back. And "wire" isn't necessarily .035 hardwire, it's also the various dualshield wires and innershield wires, I can easily double or triple stick deposition rates, both flat or out of position.

My apologies to MMW, you posted a valid problem, and a correct solution to the problem. I admit, like you, I probably wouldn't have slugged the back of the weld, without specific advice to do so. With hindsight, I realize now this is probably the best way to approach this repair. Thanks for posting up, that's what this message board is for.

Really.. u cant just let that go can ya?.... well as i said before, i also use a feeder. WHERE NEEDED! But just out of curiosity.. lets say you had a cat bucket, 8' wide, you cut the old edge off and replacing it with a new cat edge. Whatcha gonna weld it with? Wire size? Machine? Wire type?... i agree he fixed this problem pretty close to what we have done. I wasnt saying anything but i have seen quite a few of these, their pretty common. I dont see the problem with what i said, exept you just have to start ****. I have been fixing heavy equipment since about 15yrs ago and with that strictly welding was the specialty in the shop i learned in. This is what i do. So why is it surprising that i have done this?... or very close to this

Comment

And also... i dont just work delaware, i do the whole penninsula and also sometimes new jersey, north carolina, west virgina and Pennsylvania. Where i live is kinda nice, i can walk to maryland in 10-15 minutes. Pa and Nj is 1.5 hrs away

Comment

Working...
                X