Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank

    I need to build a disel fuel tank that will go in the back of a polaris ranger 6x6 utv. I've got everything squared away except for the 2" threaded bungs for the transfer pump and filler/vent cap. Do you guys have a good source for these? I am going to build out of mild steel. Aluminum would be nice, but it won't last with how it is going to be used. It is too easy to pop a hole in it. For a drain port I am looking at just using a 3/4" pipe coupler and plug. Should end up around 90-100 gallons of usuable capacity.


  • #2
    Elvis try a hydraulic supply house that makes hoses and has fittings a Tomkins or a Fastenal . good luck chris


    • #3
      Elvis go to a electrical supply house and ask for a 2" pipe fitting. That is what i use when i make tanks for local guys here in florida. They also make them out of aluminum. Good luck


      • #4
        Since your building it with steel, all you need is standard 2" threaded pipe for the bung and a 2" pipe cap with a small hole less than 1/8" drilled in it. That's what all the transfer pumps have for threads anyhow. No need to overthink or over pay for what you need. Use 2 of them so you can have a filler neck and a bung to install the transfer pump. You don't want to have to remove the filler cap, install the pump, transfer fuel, disconnect the pump and put the cap back on every time you refuel something. This way the pump stays mounted and you have a separate place to fill the tank. The large bung opening in a 55gal. barrel is 2" standard pipe thread, the small one is 3/4".
        On the drain bung, you should consider a ball valve with a plug in it rather than the plug alone. If you ever need to drain it, and remove the plug, the fuel is going to go everywhere. With the valve on there you can connect a hose and direct it where you want it before opening the valve.


        • #5


          • #6
            I like to use sch 80 half couplings for bungs. Just a little thicker than sch 40.


            • #7
              Thanks guys. Schedule 80 couplers it is.


              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.