Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cor-Ten Steel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cor-Ten Steel

Building a sign for my company with the company name and logo cut out in 1/8" Cor-Ten (weathering) steel. It will be 2-sided with a layer of stainless steel in the middle with a 1 1/2" gap between each plate. Since weathering steel comes in a non rusted state, it might take a while for the sign to rust and it just won't look right until it reaches its rusted state. Any recommendations to speed up this process?
    Thanks,
    Richard

Muratic Acid will speed it up...Bob

Comment

A mixture of salt, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide may do it.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
        A mixture of salt, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide may do it.
        You may not even need the vinegar and peroxide. I know sea water causes steel to rust pretty quickly, so salt water alone may be enough to get the desired results. You might want to give it a fresh water rinse after it starts to rust to the way you want it to, either with the salt water or muriatic treatment described above.

Comment

http://www.corten.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

according to this information website, just wet and leave exposed. Periodically re-wet. Also see notes about suitability for various environments. I would hesitate to use any muratic acid, vinegar or other chemicals to try and accelerate the rusting process.

A more in-depth search of the internet might yield more info.

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
          Building a sign for my company with the company name and logo cut out in 1/8" Cor-Ten (weathering) steel. It will be 2-sided with a layer of stainless steel in the middle with a 1 1/2" gap between each plate. Since weathering steel comes in a non rusted state, it might take a while for the sign to rust and it just won't look right until it reaches its rusted state. Any recommendations to speed up this process?
          Thanks,
          Richard

Comment

For many years, I was involved with a very compentent sheetmetal worker, who worked with cor-ten often. When he wanted to speed up the "rust look", just threw salt water on in. Not complicated.

Comment

Apple Cider Vinegar in a Hudson sprayer or spray bottle.

Comment

Hydrogen peroxide, cheap, readily available, and not acidic. spray it on full strength.

Comment

How does Cor ten weld, say compared to mild steel? Just curious, as I have never worked with it.

Comment

where to find?

Where do you find Cor-Ten? I asked a Steel supplier if he carried it and they looked at me with big eyes. They had no idea what I was talking about, or what it was... Of course, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Comment

Cor-Ten is a trademark for "weathering" steel. ASTM A 242 and ASTM A 588.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.