Homemade Fume Extractor For About $100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    Thanks. I washed down the garage last week and now it should stay clean. I hate a dirty garage. Now if only I could get my wife to stop parking in my shop...that way I'd have room for a few more tools!
    If you would like for her to quit parking in your "SHOP", stop calling the structure a "GARAGE" and only refer to it as a shop. Only use the word garage if it is in referance to building another covered area for her to park.
    The fan set up you have made looks very handy. One suggestion that comes to mind is to rig the two outer fans to one switch and the center one to it's own. This gives you the option of using 1, 2, or 3 fans at a time depending on needs at the time.

Comment

She got a kick out of that! The dual switches is a good idea. Isn't it great when people are left alone to their own ideas and the suggestions of others?

Comment

Google replacement Lincoln activated carbon filter. They have one that is shaped like a box for $56, you could probably rig that up to work with your fans??

Comment

I'll check it out. Thanks...

Comment

Don't run it through the roof. I'm a general contractor and I can tell you from experience. It is much more difficult to keep watertight. I would look into running through an exterior wall if possible, or pop into the attic and then route up against the backside of an attic vent ( gable end vent, ridge vent, or bird block). I try to avoid retro fitting pipes through any roofing material as its almost impossible to do it properly.

Comment

I actually did think about running it into the attic and then out one of the vents. That would be a pretty simple thing to do. It would look pretty neat too. Just a small hole in the ceiling. I think that's the best idea yet. I know you're right; the roof exit would be a pain with the shingles, flashing, etc. Too many chances for leakage.

Comment

Yes exactly, huge can of worms if the roof leaks. If there is a fart fan in the area, you could easily duct in a y fitting and utilize an existing penetration to the exterior. I like your fume extractor though. I wouldn't mind getting something like yours going when I have some spare time. Good work!

Comment

Thanks. Now I've got some good ideas. I can take a look and see which is the best route to go...

Comment

Homer, what is you current status

Originally posted by HomerJSapien View Post
                    Thanks. Now I've got some good ideas. I can take a look and see which is the best route to go...
                    Hoping you are doing well, I came upon this thread when doing some googling looking for some less expensive options than the portable Miller (about $1800).I am wondering what you have found out with different options and how you have finalized your exhaust port options?I am working out of my garage like so many, have you had problems with too much CFM affecting the gas protection of the puddle? Or maybe that is why you have it so high off the surface? When going through school I took welding as an elective and was hooked. My instructors taught us to keep the extraction ports close to the work (maybe 6-8")Any insight is appreciated as I am thinking of making a home option before paying big $.Then again sometimes I justify the big stuff with just a little nudge, health safety is a great excuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X