Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Goodmorning everyone!!

So, this is my latest mini-project:

Recently, I wished I had a way to tack things to the "inside" of my table... Too far from the edges to conventionally clamp them... And this is what I came up with...

I bought a BESSEY 8" C clamp from the local lowes, spark tested it to determine it was malleable iron, and then cut if off and simply 7018'd it to a couple scraps of mild steel plate, which I can tack anywhere I need to...

Anyway, the clamp welded very well... It was my first time welding malleable cast iron, and first time welding dissimilar metals...

And I got another tool for the shop... I'm pretty happy with how it came out

Just thought I'd share... I'm probably not the first one to come up with this idea... Hope you guys enjoy the video, and have an awesome weekend everyone

That clamp should be cast steel and weld just like carbon steel, so not really two different metals...Bob

Comment

Good work stretch! Mind if I share it on diyweldingplans.com?

Comment

Oh you just made a grasshopper /screw dog. They work real good for tacking on one piece of steel to align a butt joint or push an adjoining piece down tight.

Comment

I have a few

Comment

I have used cut off c-clamps for 25+ yrs. It's amazing the things I take for granted.

Comment

The only problem with your welding videos Lance is THERE AREN'T ENOUGH OF THEM! :-)

You've really made my entrance into welding a lot more interesting and successful.

Thank you and keep 'em coming!

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.