Reverse Flow Smoker / BBQ Pit Project - Lots of Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl.robertson View Post
    A standard offset smoker had the firebox on one end (the right), and the smoke stack on the other end (left side of cook chamber). This is the most common smoker design. The down side to these are that the temperature on the cooking grate can vary up to 100 degrees from one end of the cooking chamber to the other. That means you can only utilize part of the cooking area, because the side by the fire would scorch food. The plus to these though are that they are cheaper to buy or build, and use less wood.

A reverse flow has the firebox and the stack on the same side (right). There is a thick plate that directs the smoke/ heat all the way to the left side, a few inches below the cooking rack. It stops before the left end, to allow the heat and smoke to move though the cook chamber. The stack and firebox will be in the same side. This design allows the plate to heat up evenly, and direct the heat up evenly. After I get mine up to temp, I vary 5 - 10 degrees, allowing me to use my entire cook area, and not have to worry about flipping or burning meat. A reverse flow will eat a little more wood, but to me it's worth the trade off.

I say do it.. Its a fun project that we have really enjoyed. Post some pictures if you build one.
    I built mine a little differently. It's not a reverse smoker and it's not a standard design. It looks like a standard until you open the lid. Where as most of the standard ones have an opening from the fire box to the cooking chamber resulting in uneven heat distribution. I welded a 4"x4" peice of square tubing to the firebox and extended it all the way across the cooking chamber and capped the end. I then cut holes in the front and back of it for the smoke and heat to come out. The holes to the opposite end are slightly larger than the ones next to the firebox. This helps even out the smoke and heat distribution across the cooking surface. Next I got 2 big lasagna pans and welded some 1/2"x1/2" angle iron to the square tubing to hold the pans. The pans serve as water pans to add steam and keep the meats moist during cooking, each holds 1 gallon of water. I smoked 2 turkeys on this set up at the same time, one over each pan, took about 7 hours. I did not have to move the birds the whole time, just keep the fire fed, and they both turned out perfect, neither one cooked more or less than the other and both were very moist and juicy. This configuration may be an idea for someone that already has a standard type design but would like to make change it to better control the heat. Just close off the opening from the firebox and install the large tubing as I did. This would be an easier conversion on this type on smoker without having to move the stack and all that. And you can do the water pan thing too.

Comment

rl.robertson, very nice work on your cooker I like it.

lanceman73, tuning plates afford you the same even heat as a reverse flow does but you can manipulate the plates for hotter cooking if need be. Then there is the Hybrid style that affords you the option to cook in either reverse flow or tuning plate.
      Here is a link to my competition trailer cooker I hope this helps.
      http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60519

Comment

smoker

Where did you find the pipe?
        ?
        I am in Fort Worth , also will you be so kind and send me plans?

e mail sirnunez53@aol.com

looks good Thanks

Comment

Smoker Trailer.

Originally posted by k.a.m. View Post
          rl.robertson, very nice work on your cooker I like it.

lanceman73, tuning plates afford you the same even heat as a reverse flow does but you can manipulate the plates for hotter cooking if need be. Then there is the Hybrid style that affords you the option to cook in either reverse flow or tuning plate.
          Here is a link to my competition trailer cooker I hope this helps.
          http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60519
          Questions for you:
          1. Instead of using a torch to start the fire(s) why not install a burner?
          (Just to get it going of course.) (Is that a no no in competition?)
          2. Why wood skirting on the sink?
          3. Did you ever think of putting the water tank up and skipping the pump?
          (It could have gone above the back splash...?)
          Love the build!
          MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
          Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Working...
          X