Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need tip on how to hold pieces for TIG at odd angle - ?modeling clay?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need tip on how to hold pieces for TIG at odd angle - ?modeling clay?

The project I'm doing is TIG welding two 3/8" mild steel square bars on an angle to a 1/2" square bar. The drawing is easier to understand than my explanation. Top bar only is illustrated.

the right angle pipes/angle iron, c-clamps, and vise grips I'm using for a frame just don't get the angles right.

Could I safely use modeling clay or something like that to hold small pieces at an odd angle just to get the tack weld made as long as I keep the clay away from the weld?

Name:  dc24adeaad05c1ecf36b265895f2a37c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  38.8 KB

Would these help ? Posting from another site.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=weld+finger

Mine is post #7, i think this will work . Various ideas shown.

Comment

I use these,bigger than they look.

Originally posted by d.eglen View Post
      The project I'm doing is TIG welding two 3/8" mild steel square bars on an angle to a 1/2" square bar. The drawing is easier to understand than my explanation. Top bar only is illustrated.

the right angle pipes/angle iron, c-clamps, and vise grips I'm using for a frame just don't get the angles right.

Could I safely use modeling clay or something like that to hold small pieces at an odd angle just to get the tack weld made as long as I keep the clay away from the weld?

Name:  dc24adeaad05c1ecf36b265895f2a37c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  38.8 KB
      Called a snake magnet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vt...FQWonQode2QArQ

Comment

I use these, bigger than they look.

Snake magnet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vt...FQWonQode2QArQ

Comment

I don't believe that welding finger will help much in your case. If you have a lot of them to make, you should make a jig. If it's just the one, I usually just grind the angles I need and hold them together by hand for a tack. Then you can bend them a little to get the final angle and weld.
          You've got a tough problem, I admit.

CG

Comment

This universal clamp may be just what you need.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7273

Don

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
              Would these help ? Posting from another site.
              http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=weld+finger

Mine is post #7, i think this will work . Various ideas shown.

I made up the pieces today of your design, but I don't know how to do the washer part to get it to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by d.eglen View Post
                I made up the pieces today of your design, but I don't know how to do the washer part to get it to hold.
                The washer is a shade larger then the material that it slides on. It just binds on the round stock by gravity being on a angle. Your washer inside diameter maybe too large. You could try a small '' C '' clamp or baby vise grips on shaft to hold weight too. Hope it works.

Comment

here's a solution I found

I looked around other forums and eventually was led to this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpOa...0A5051&index=2

pretty cool solution that would find many uses.

Comment

Originally posted by chewinggum View Post
                    I don't believe that welding finger will help much in your case. If you have a lot of them to make, you should make a jig. If it's just the one, I usually just grind the angles I need and hold them together by hand for a tack. Then you can bend them a little to get the final angle and weld.
                    You've got a tough problem, I admit.

CG
                    This works on many projects. Great advise.

Comment

A piece of bent flat straps and a couple clamps woulde be simple, how many of these are there and are they critical? One of them, a latch for a pork smoker or some engineered part, dozens, hundreds etc for the space program? You say using now, is this part of a production process? This is a question that needs context??

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        A piece of bent flat straps and a couple clamps woulde be simple, how many of these are there and are they critical? One of them, a latch for a pork smoker or some engineered part, dozens, hundreds etc for the space program? You say using now, is this part of a production process? This is a question that needs context??
                        It's a single hobby project, not production. i plan to make 6.
                        I'm a novice, and as such, am not able to fill in the details of your suggestion of bent flat straps and a couple of clamps. How are those to be arranged? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.