Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Press brake - Opinions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press brake - Opinions

I bought a HF 20T press. My main use for it will be bending flatstock. My standard most common size will be 4x3/8" flatstock @ 90deg. I have attached a drawing of my plan. It is designed with what I have here in my shop.
    Any ideas/modifications will be appreciated.Name:  b232f0025e96ea93efc3ab450ed7a885.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  28.0 KB
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aaronobrien; 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM. Reason: ** added photo

Looks like it will work. You might want to make your top punch tighter than 90 degrees like 80 something. Mine is 42 degrees on a side...Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

Bob is correct, you want your top & bottom dies tighter than 90 degrees or you will have trouble getting your pcs. to 90.

Comment

So both the top and bottom @ 80 deg?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronobrien View Post
          So both the top and bottom @ 80 deg?
          No just the top. The bottom can be 90...Bob

Comment

Okay, so just the top @ 80 deg or so. Bottom can be 90deg....

Does the punch have to be hardened? If so, what is the proper process for it?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronobrien View Post
              Does the punch have to be hardened? If so, what is the proper process for it?
              Thats up to you. How many parts you going to make? A zillion then yes. If the bottom center wears just regrind or recut it to suit. Just my thoughts...Bob

Comment

thanks bob,

Over the course of a year, ill probably bend 100-200 pieces. possibly more if it works as well as it seems like it should.

Comment

For air bending which is what you plan on doing the bottom should be less than 90. The 4 way die on the Cincinnati I used to run was 82*. The top should be sharper than 90 also. This lets you over bend slightly to compensate for spring back.

I can't see how thick a plate your top die will be but I would use 1".
                  Last edited by MMW; 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I used angle for the top and bottom on my iron worker brake and it over bends a 90 every time if your not careful.

Comment

Here are some pics I took a bit ago
                      Attached Files

Comment

Another
                        Attached Files

Comment

AnotherAnother
                          Attached Files

Comment

The press modified. A little ugly, but works fairly well
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is what its bent for. Its the strap for semi trailer s
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.