Hydraulics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulics

So, where do you guys go to source hydraulic parts? I'm designing an electric over hydraulic tube bender running a 15ton ram. Plan to mostly bend .120 x 1.75" dom tubing. I have my specs figured out (thanks to sft) and now I just need to find the parts and buy them as money allows. I was thinking surpluscenter for the ram (4"x18"x1.5") and valve (2500psi), but what about the motor and pump? I figured going local for the hoses. I would love to find a pump that would run 2000psi minimum and .15ci/rev and run on a 115v/20amp circuit, but i can certainly handle running the pump on 230v. I only have one 230v circuit available, so I get tired of swapping the plugs for each machine out of the receptacle. I hope this all makes sense to someone...

Also, I am using a spreadsheet for all these calculations. I plan to build a reservoir. I have a sheet of 14ga just sitting around right now. I only need 1/2 of it or less to build a tongue toolbox for a trailer.
    Last edited by elvis; 01-15-2013, 11:55 PM. Reason: add info
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Hydraulics

Ok Elvis this is kind of difficult because this is going to be a location thing for you. Your going to need a couple of things. Ok for me I live near Detroit MI so I go to a couple different shops one for cylinders and hoses and the other sells and repairs motors, pumps, and valves. When I need something they walk me through it with all the parts and accessories I need for hydraulic applications. I recommend finding heavy equipment places around you then ask them where they get their hydronic motors rebuilt and go from there or search for places near you. I will get the number at work for my place and can give it to you or make some calls for you. It should be that difficult.
    Last edited by Rezeppa; 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
      So, where do you guys go to source hydraulic parts? I'm designing an electric over hydraulic tube bender running a 15ton ram. Plan to mostly bend .120 x 1.75" dom tubing. I have my specs figured out (thanks to sft) and now I just need to find the parts and buy them as money allows. I was thinking surpluscenter for the ram (4"x18"x1.5") and valve (2500psi), but what about the motor and pump? I figured going local for the hoses. I would love to find a pump that would run 2000psi minimum and .15ci/rev and run on a 115v/20amp circuit, but i can certainly handle running the pump on 230v. I only have one 230v circuit available, so I get tired of swapping the plugs for each machine out of the receptacle. I hope this all makes sense to someone...

Also, I am using a spreadsheet for all these calculations. I plan to build a reservoir. I have a sheet of 14ga just sitting around right now. I only need 1/2 of it or less to build a tongue toolbox for a trailer.
      I get most of mine from surplus center. I have also purchased parts from www.daltonhydraulic.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check out your suggestions
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

We use http://www.baileynet.com/ great customer service and prices

Comment

If you have a compressor in your shop, have you considered air over hydraulic? Way cheaper than buying a hydro pump and setup, and works just as well.

Ed

Comment

That is what I have now. I'm looking for faster cycle times. For an 8-ton air/hyd 20" stroke ram to go full cycle takes almost 2 minutes. I'm looking to cut that down to 40 seconds or so. Also, When I build a shop press I can push a little more force out (40ton) and also run the ram on a trolly so I'm not stuck in only one position.
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

I converted my bender over to hydraulics a couple of years ago. I purchased my ram and pump unit from Northern Tool, but Surplus Center does have the same pump unit and ram a few bucks cheaper.

My pump is a 1hp 110/220 vac, 2500# Haldex unit.

The ram is (3"x24"x1-1/2") and is 2 stage.

Bending a 2" x .120" tube it takes 24 seconds to make a 90* bend and can go 114* on a single stroke without repenning. From full extention to full retraction takes 16 seconds.

I use a 4-way valve.

I've been really pleased with how this unit has worked.

Here's a few photos of my bender.

Name:  03f53e8273ed9b79580acdfb89d75f97.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  123.9 KBName:  a1122a4aba4d3f07cc9cb31b6dd1a6b9.jpg
Size:  112.5 KBName:  dcc70ff0b7c0263dad9f5fc8a2fdbaa0.jpg
Size:  94.3 KBName:  c2822b23d0f133557d511a3d99d5094f.jpg
Size:  119.9 KB
                Last edited by diverbill45; 02-26-2013, 03:09 AM.
                Bill

Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Miller 251
                Thermodynamics Plasma arc
                Benard "Center Fire" wirefeed gun
                Miller alum. spool gun
                Tweco Tig torch
                Victor O/A torches
                B&D Wildcat 9" grinder
                DeWalt 10 amp 4-1/2" grinders
                7"x12" bandsaw

A shop that's always going to be to small.

Comment

Working...
                X