No announcement yet.

garage Elevator Man lift project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually (jokenly) thinking of putting an elevator in my new house since I have a full basement now. It would just be a northern tool hoist (or air hoist) mounted to basement floor, pulleys to move cable appropriately, with angle framed carriage. Just add some tube to sides and vertical mount channels as guides. Would probably do air because if power failed, it will still go down.

Wife didn't like the idea until I told her she wouldn't have to carry laundry downstairs anymore.

And I don't think people are being rude. I understand that this isn't a table or mailbox or whatever, this is something people will be on and helpless if it fails due to a kid laying on it, or whatever.

Comment

If people are going to ride on this it should have some kind of automatic braking device to stop it in the event of a component or power failure. As well, if it is not fully enclosed in an elevator shaft with an automatic locking door on both levels it should also incorporate a self-closing door in the upper floor as well as some foolproof sensing device to activate the automatic braking system so you don't have your wife, the over curious neighbor kid or the family pet looking like the Wicked Witch of the West from the wizard of Oz. That is flat from having this platform inadvertently descend on them. Be safe, please.
      Meltedmetal

Comment

garage Elevator Man lift project

Monte55; thanks for noticing!!

Glad I posted this on a Tractor Forum where welding professionals, engineers and freight lift elevator builders by trade can give well intentioned helpful advice.

For others that are willing to help thank you for the advice!

for those that ARE being f*+€#g a$$e$...

Turn the page as I nor anyone else care to hear your unproductive belittling banter

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
          Anytime a post starts with:

"I'd like to build a XXXX".

And ends with:

"What style/type and thickness of steel".

You know this, the poster has no buisness building "XXXX". Either get someone else to do the job, or educate yourself to the point that you don't have to ask kindergarden level questions. That way nobody will likely get hurt. At your present level of understanding you are a disaster just a waiting to happen.
          Your reply to the post in question was not only insulting but also very
          negative, perhaps you should be in politics.
          Last edited by R W; 01-21-2013, 02:28 AM.

Comment

I think the JTMcC had a good point. It might have been harsh but it is true. Whenever I have started a project with those questions I quickly learn I shouldn't be doing it. So I go out and learn like crazy. I learn from the internet, from people in my community, and from professionals with experience. I check out what is working and then I restart the project. All of a sudden things make sense and the level of my questions goes way up. Instead of asking someone to design and cut everything for me free of charge so that I can glue it together with a little mig welder, I am calculating max sheer forces of hardware or tweaking designed to maximize strength while minimizing weight.

People haven't been all sweet and cuddly like our culture seems to think we should be. That is okay! In the end ericher will have a better system from this, I hope. Now get the F@#$ over it and start learning.
            MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Respect on the Forum

Just want to remind everyone that although it is perfectly fine to disagree and voice your disagreements, we ask that it be done in a respectful way without personally attacking or using profanity toward other forum members or their ideas.

Full forum terms of use are here http://www.millerwelds.com/about/terms.html

We appreciate the diverse opinions on this forum and all those who participate.

Thanks,
              Miller Welding Forum Administrator

Comment

I guess to people who were raised playing soccer where they don't keep score and everybody get's a "participant/winner" medal the facts of any situation can appear harsh.

But when you make welds and build things can can damage property or start the bleeding there are no "participant" awards.

You can find an endless stream of folks on the interwebs that'll give you a "yea! yea! you can do it!"
                You can also find (if you look) people who'll give you real world advise based on experience.

I'm old enought that I played sports when they kept score and somebody had to lose, so forgive me for not being as touchy feely as you're wanting but it is what it is. Some folks are very thin skinned and are just looking for an injustice or personal attack where none exist.

But I'll stand by my comment that you need to gain considerable knowledge (not on internet forums) if you expect to build a working, troublefree, safe manlift in your garage.
                When you jump into the world of critical welds, the consequences can be harsh.

If you don't confuse the presentation of facts with "being mean", life will go smoother.

JT
                Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I'll agree to some of what you say but, I can tell someone they look like a f' ing idiot or I don't think what they are wearing fits the occasion...in a nice way
                  Nick
                  Miller 252 Mig
                  Miller Cricket XL
                  Millermatic 150 Mig
                  Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                  2-O/A outfits
                  Jet Lathe and Mill
                  Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                  DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                  Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                  20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                  Propane Forge
                  60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                  Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                  and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                    I'll agree to some of what you say but, I can tell someone they look like a f' ing idiot or I don't think what they are wearing fits the occasion...in a nice way

How do you get from "you need to get educated and not ask kindergarten level questions before you build this thing" to "you're a f'ing idiot"?

That is happening in your mind. Don't read into my posts. I'm fairly simple, I mean what I say in a literal sense, and I don't try to put any coating (good or bad) on it. That just leads to confusion in my world. The guy doesn't need a lot of confusion if he's building a man lift, he needs cold hard facts and the knowledge to successfully implement those facts.

And I don't give two hoots about other peoples wardrobe decisions vs "the occasion".

I didn't say anything in a "not nice way". Men in this country are being brought up in a very feminized fashion by single Mothers. That's why Dads were invented, to raise men who don't shrivle at the slightest sign of criticism be it right, wrong or indifferent.

J

Comment

I am not reading anything into your posts. I don't even know which are yours and I don't care. What I am saying is people can say things in a nicer way. Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves. You don't care. I don't like it when people hide behind that for an excuse to be a rude ass.
                      Nick
                      Miller 252 Mig
                      Miller Cricket XL
                      Millermatic 150 Mig
                      2-O/A outfits
                      Jet Lathe and Mill
                      Propane Forge

Comment

Don't hide behind the pretense you give a **** about them if they do something stupid and hurt themselves.

Unless you're psychic skills see thru time, YOU have no idea what I do, where I do it or who I do it for. You have absolutely no idea what care I might have for my fellow man's well being or the steps I've taken in that area.
                        I certainly won't post them here so you can continue to fabricate whatever truth you want to believe. Good grief that's a wierd hobby.

You, monte555, know nothing about me and probably should stop trying to be the miss cleo of the internet.

Or go ahead. But you are 100% wrong on all counts.

I've built and modified a few man/material lifts over the years and recognize what I see.

Again, sorry (not) if the facts disrupt your touchy feely kumbayaa world view. Gravity always works as they say. And I've seen dead men crushed under a relatively small load as an apprentice, that made an impression on my young self that carries thru today.

J

On edit I'll add that I hide behind NOTHING. Feel free to contact me, I'll give you my physical address, phone number, whatever you want. I've never hidden from anything in my life.
                        John McCracken
                        Last edited by JTMcC; 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not saying you were the rude one. I was speaking openly to everyone. No, I do not know how you are and what you care about as well I do not know about the others here. But I do know what I read and how to take it. I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe. Just because you have worked on a couple and maybe have seen someone hurt doesn't make everyone else stupid.
                          Nick
                          Miller 252 Mig
                          Miller Cricket XL
                          Millermatic 150 Mig
                          2-O/A outfits
                          Jet Lathe and Mill
                          Propane Forge

Comment

and what the he!! is cleo of the internet?
                            Nick
                            Miller 252 Mig
                            Miller Cricket XL
                            Millermatic 150 Mig
                            2-O/A outfits
                            Jet Lathe and Mill
                            Propane Forge

Comment

Nowhere did I call anybody stupid, work on your reading comprehension .

I'll leave it with your words because this pretty much says it all:

I have never built an elevator but I know what is involved and how to make it safe.

Comment

Not trying to keep this going but the OP was somewhat rude too, as was my second response. But I can say that I was man enough to send him an apology, and Im sure he will vouch for that....Sorry to any I offended....Lets get back to welding

Comment

Working...
                                X