Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

refractory

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refractory

Hi all I am currently building a little coal forge and want the fire pot to be insulated and was wondering if I could use dirt /sand around the outside of the firepot until I can get some refractory mix. Or does anyone have any other ideas for makeshift refractory? Thanks all
    Nate

refractory

How big of a gap are you trying to fill? Do you access to kaowool or some Ram? I mean in the non runner at the troughs by the blast furnace the bottom layer before we gunite is sand. It would work as a temporary solution. A lot of refactory is nothing more than a special concrete with a activator and or accelerator.
    Last edited by Rezeppa; 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM.

Comment

refractory

It's about 3 inches I'm thinking. And as soon as I'm back to work at a steel mill ill have access to super 3000. Just wondering about for now to get me started.
      Thanks

Comment

I was going to ask next about super 300 now if it was me I would use firebrick and motor it with super 3000. Super 3000 on its own in 3" areas seams a bit much. Temporary use I would pack sand or concrete in.

Comment

refractory

What steel mill are you working at? I think I have done refactory work in your area and I bet I have shockcreted there.

Comment

refractory

Sorry to blow the forum up but if you could get some V-chairs and ksv4 (or another water activated finite you can hand pack) that would be my ideal way of lining it. I would think no matter what your going to want to weld stainless anchors on the inside to prevent collapsing.

Comment

refractory

I'm from southern Ontario and I work at us steel and dofasco when ever they need fixing just contract work. And I was planning on using a stainless steel sink and put anchors all around and kinda just build the bottom up till it has a few inches of some sort of refractory. I think I'll use mostly super 3000 just cuz a friend if mine is getting me a pail of it but I have some fire brick too that would probably work for building a sort of roof on it to hold some more heat in. Any other thoughts?
              Thanks
              Nate

Comment

refractory

No I have gone to that US Steel plant for work before my employer was subcontracted through Magneco Martel, and Phoenix Refactory Technologies (PRT) no it sounds like you have a good idea of what your doing.

Comment

refractory

Alright thanks !

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.