Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need 4 1/2" hole in Aluminum ??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 4 1/2" hole in Aluminum ??

Need to cut 4 1/2" hole in 1/4" Aluminum backing plate for fighting chair.
    Plate is secured to underside of floor deck of boat so it will be a 1/2" drill, not a drill press.
    i only need to make 1 hole. Will a 4 1/2" Milwaukee hole saw work on Aluminum ?
    or do I need a specialized bit ??
    Thanks Ed

Lacking proper tools, I'd just use a saber saw and a good metal blade for just one hole.
    CG

Comment

Need 4 1/2" hole in Aluminum ??

Alm is soft, should work for one hole.

Comment

I work on boats all day the only thing i find that will cut aluminum easy is a plasma. I do this all day and found that it is the right way to do this. Good luck

Comment

Just use the hole saw. I hole saw 1/4" steel all the time. Aluminum will be cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
            Just use the hole saw. I hole saw 1/4" steel all the time. Aluminum will be cake.
            The 4.5" Milwaukee hole saw will do the job just fine, and alot cheaper than buying/renting a plasma torch to make only one hole. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will do it too, if it doesn't have to be perfectly round, just close enough to round.

Comment

I would use the hole saw too. If you want to keep the hole saw from wandering, drill the 4 1/2'' hole in a piece of plywood that will fit in your hole location. Cut the plywood so it is large enough to stand on. This will work as a guide and should work out well.

Comment

Use something to help wash away the chips. Water soluble oil, Wd40, etc. even just plain water will help keep the hole saw from loading up. A drill with an extra handle is prefered so when it catches less chance of hurting your wrist.

Comment

Hole saw

and lube the aluminum, you can even use tapping fluid, it will bind to the chips and remove them faster. Slow speed, you don't want to burn up your $5 hole saw

Comment

Ditto the hole saw. A little lube and it will take less time than reading this thread.

Comment

Yes for a one time deal hole saw will work. Who makes the fighting chair? Update with a pic after install.

Comment

second the drill a piece of ply the size to stand on. Just did this for a spacer for a sprocket. I used .080 thick sheet alu and messed up 2 before using the ply trick.the pilot hole wonders and you get a screwy cut....my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.