Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with small pulley hoist.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with small pulley hoist.

I have a clothes pulley that has two metal frames, that five wooden rods go through. The metal frames are linked up with rope that go through two small pulleys screwed into the roof. The system is raised and lowered by the two ropes being joined together and tied around a hook.
    My question is as follows. My wife and even myself are finding it hard too raise and lower when wet washing is placed on the lines for drying. She does not even raise it up anymore, so I end up doing a limbo dance going under it.
    I have been looking for a low cost electrical system that would enable us to push a button, for raising it up and pushing another for lowering it. I was thinking of using a clothes dryer motor but have no idea of how to put the system in reverse, meaning up no problem but how do I get it down
    I understand this is not quite a welding project however it could well end up being part of one.
    A lot of you chaps work in all areas of manufacturing, so I thought your brains would help me...............I doubt when all fully loaded the whole system has more than 150 Lbs but my wife is only 107 Lbs soaking wet.
    So any help would be very kind of you.

Several pictures of the set up would help greatly over just your description. From different angles too. Kinda hard to get a mental image of what you are describing.

Comment

https://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=148817&categoryId=&path=&productN ame=false
      Hand cranked winch

Comment

https://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=148817&categoryId=&path=&productN ame=false

Hand cranked winch

Comment

go to harbor freight and look at the small electric winchs used on recreational vehicles, they are 12 volt, very inexpensive at harbor freight, or try northern tool

Comment

Check out www.surpluscenter.com and look for linear actuators - not sure if this would be the complete solution but may give you some ideas....

Comment

Yup a picture's worth a 1000 words. I also am not really getting a good idea of what you have already installed. However I think in the spring I'm going to have to do something similar to what you're doing. I had in mind either a cheap hand winch(the kind you find on small boat trailers) or some kind of captive hand driven capstan. I plan to mount the clothesline pulley on a single wheel carriage rolling on a piece of pipe mounted vertically on the corner of the house.(Sounds more complicated than it is) I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
              Meltedmetal

Comment

Electric hoist from harbor freight. Under $150 and has hand control with reverse

Comment

Here is a source for a worm gear winch that spools and unspools during cranking. Advantage of the worm gear type is that it will hold the line load when stopped. I suspect that the cheapest of these will crank with a drill driver when lifting/pulling light loads.

http://www.amt-usa.com/s.nl/it.A/id.562/.f
                  Last edited by Goodhand; 12-31-2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Northerntool.com - 100% more quality, 10% more cost

I personally do not trust anything HF sells that is electric

If you want cheaper, go with a manual boat ratchet. You can easily slip a cable on it and it won't worry about weather. I would make a longer release lever though if she uses it all the time. I would purchase a HF boat ratchet AS LONG AS it has a solid release/locking mechanism.

Comment

Problem solved.

A friend suggested that I try a winch, looked at Tractor supply and they had one for $20 that has a 600Lb limit. It says for pulling not lifting but in this load will cause no problems. I am now in the thought process of making a bracket that will go onto the wall and then I can bolt on the winch at her shoulder height.
                      Thank you for all for helping. My DIG camera has packed in, so was unable to post an image, third digital camera that has packed in on me. All my mechanical film cameras work as good as new. Miller should go into the Digital camera business.
                      Happy New Year.

Comment

You may want to bulk up the drum on that winch some to speed up the lift. Winding on a 3/4" diameter or smaller drum is going to be slow. It will be a trade-off between effort and speed but you don't want your wife to get bored cranking that thing and hand the crank to you.-Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                          You may want to bulk up the drum on that winch some to speed up the lift. Winding on a 3/4" diameter or smaller drum is going to be slow. It will be a trade-off between effort and speed but you don't want your wife to get bored cranking that thing and hand the crank to you.-Meltedmetal
                          Sir, you hit the nail on the head. It is only winding up about seven feet and if the drum has more diameter it will spool up quicker.
                          It is excellent in that no effort is being used in raising the weight but as you said the number of cranks needs to be reduced.
                          A Happy New Year too you and your family.
                          James.

Comment

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
                            I have a clothes pulley that has two metal frames, that five wooden rods go through. The metal frames are linked up with rope that go through two small pulleys screwed into the roof. The system is raised and lowered by the two ropes being joined together and tied around a hook.
                            My question is as follows. My wife and even myself are finding it hard too raise and lower when wet washing is placed on the lines for drying. She does not even raise it up anymore, so I end up doing a limbo dance going under it.
                            I have been looking for a low cost electrical system that would enable us to push a button, for raising it up and pushing another for lowering it. I was thinking of using a clothes dryer motor but have no idea of how to put the system in reverse, meaning up no problem but how do I get it down
                            I understand this is not quite a welding project however it could well end up being part of one.
                            A lot of you chaps work in all areas of manufacturing, so I thought your brains would help me...............I doubt when all fully loaded the whole system has more than 150 Lbs but my wife is only 107 Lbs soaking wet.
                            So any help would be very kind of you.
                            You could use a permanent magnet DC motor and use gears or pulleys to get the gear ratio right to handle the weight and up the torque.

To reverse the system you simply flip the polarity going to the DC motor. Toggle switches (rated for the current your pulling) can work nicely. Or if you need more current I can draw you a schematic for a control using MOSFETs easily available at Radio shack. You can also google H-Bridge and that will be the MOSFET configuration you will need.

I bought 3 DC permanent magnet motors off Ebay and paid about $30 each for them (several years ago). One is a 30Vdc and the other 2 were 50Vdc.

Amtek made some that were VERY popular for people to use for small wind turbine applications (the reason I purchased these 3).
                            The Amtek DC motors have since sky rocketed in price due to their popularity, but people also use treadmill motors as well.

Wind enthusiasts typically are looking for low RPM (1800 or lower) / high AMPs permanent magnet DC motors because they produce the most power at low RPMs in the wind. But I find them useful for lots of applications since they provide lots of torque.
                            Last edited by clint738; 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Over kill

Everyone here seems to get carried away on that...Come on guys it's only a clothes line.

Electric motor, winches etc... will bring more danger and add more potent problems...(pinch points, entrapments, electrocution, kids etc...)

Pictures are really needed here, from there may be some counter weight or additional pulleys or bigger pulleys.

Unless the poster really wants it electric as a challenge for satisfaction i think it will be wiser to keep it as simple as possible.

My respect to all posters, you most of the time by brainstorming get everyone to a higher level.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.