Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Project - Doors and Truss Hangers for a new Shop

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Project - Doors and Truss Hangers for a new Shop

I had a guy ask me to build him some truss hangers for a new shop that he was building. He was wanting to build his building with as low of a profile as he could. After making a prototype hanger and getting the design and workmanship approved by the truss manufacturer, I build them for him and get them to his contractor to get installed. He then asks me to build him a couple of doors – One for the shop side of the building and the other for the storage side. The doors are 14’6” tall and 26’6” wide. All hinges can be greased from one central spot on the ground. Here’s some pictures…..
    Attached Files

More Pics

More Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

More Pics 2

More Pics 2
      Attached Files

Comment

More Pics 3

More Pics 3
        Attached Files

Comment

More Pics 4

Thats it - I have plenty more if anyone would like to see anything specific - Thanks for looking!
          Attached Files

Comment

trusses

Hey Willy, very nice workmanship for sure. You give new meaning to the word organized! Your shop is very well laid out looks very user friendly Looks like a very well laid out plan there for your project keep up the nice work.Last but not least was the customer happy in the end? If not he should be, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by three turbos View Post
              Hey Willy, very nice workmanship for sure. You give new meaning to the word organized! Your shop is very well laid out looks very user friendly Looks like a very well laid out plan there for your project keep up the nice work.Last but not least was the customer happy in the end? If not he should be, well done.
              Yep - he was very happy - dont think these are going to be my last door builds as there has been a lot of people locally 'keeping and eye' on the progress....Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Very nice job. Your shop is cool too. very clean. Like the Bush light also.

Comment

Originally posted by kevhead63 View Post
                  Very nice job. Your shop is cool too. very clean. Like the Bush light also.
                  Sometimes certain jobs require a few Busch Lights

Comment

Hey man, you should be real proud of that work. You did a lot of jigging and leveling on some pretty darn hard to line up pieces. I would like to be able to think i could do that good of work. Hope everyone was proud of the build because it looks great......Fireman

Comment

The doors look really cool. I bet it is very satisfying to watch them open and close.

I’m not usually one of those safety hounds but those doors are huge. I hope there is some kind of device on those lift cylinders that prevents them from collapsing if there is a sudden loss of hydraulic pressure. You sure wouldn't want to be standing in the doorway if they ever came down fast.

They sure look a lot better than a steel roll-up door, and I would think they seal up better than a sliding door too.

Comment

Originally posted by FernTJ View Post
                        The doors look really cool. I bet it is very satisfying to watch them open and close.

I’m not usually one of those safety hounds but those doors are huge. I hope there is some kind of device on those lift cylinders that prevents them from collapsing if there is a sudden loss of hydraulic pressure. You sure wouldn't want to be standing in the doorway if they ever came down fast.

They sure look a lot better than a steel roll-up door, and I would think they seal up better than a sliding door too.
                        It was very satisfying, a little scary too. I too was worried about them coming down in case of a hydraulic failure. On the second door when I first opened it, the pump failed and had to be replaced which meant cracking the line open and letting it come down. I had pioneer couplers on the lines for a way to open (and close) the doors with a tractor or skid loader hydraulics in the event of a power or pump failure, but unfortunately did not have either handy so I started by bleeding the line down and finally removed the pioneer fitting all together and drained the fluid into a bucket. It took about 2 minutes for the door to come down with the line fully opened, and even then it did not come completely closed. It takes hydraulic pressure to completely close them tight.

They do seal up nice tight - no snow or rain blowing in around them!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman View Post
                          Hey man, you should be real proud of that work. You did a lot of jigging and leveling on some pretty darn hard to line up pieces. I would like to be able to think i could do that good of work. Hope everyone was proud of the build because it looks great......Fireman
                          Thanks - appreciate it. It was a pain getting things to line up. I had to work at a few of them - a lot. A few I got lucky on

Comment

I too build alot of custom things so I can appreciate your craftsmen ship on that job. Nice work.

Comment

Thank-you for sharing

Well done well pictured this is why we love to come on that miller site.

You are a very organized man, it shows in your shop and work.

Q. what is the weight of that big door ?
                              Q 2. With so many stuff in your shop do you happen to, once in a while, find things that you don't even remember you had ? (i do).

Good Job !

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.