Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weldable metals

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weldable metals

I was told I should beware of arc welding zinc coated metals because of the noxious gases caused by the zinc coating. Don't know how true that is, but makes me wonder - Can ordinary black iron pipe (like the stuff you find in the piping section of Home Depot) be arc welded to regular mild steel?

Angle iron, mild steel, and black iron - for all intents and purposes, is this stuff the same when it comes to arc welding? Or are they all trade names for mild steel?

They are all steel and weld fine. ANYTHING with a coating of any kind needs to be welded with caution if at all.

Galvanized makes a heavy fume when heated and can cause metal fume fever, an acute illness. Don't breathe it.

Cadmium is even worse, and is a common plating on hardened bolts.

Comment

Cadmium

Originally posted by MAC702
      They are all steel and weld fine. ANYTHING with a coating of any kind needs to be welded with caution if at all.

Galvanized makes a heavy fume when heated and can cause metal fume fever, an acute illness. Don't breathe it.

Cadmium is even worse, and is a common plating on hardened bolts.
      Mac, I've welded a lot of galvanized stuff over the years and learnt a few years ago it was poison (explained why i was sick a few times) but didn't know anything about the bolts and Cadmium...Thanks for the info on this!

Comment

A lot of nuts and bolts are listed as zinc/cadnium.
        A riend of mine worked for a duct work manufacturer which did quite a bit of galvanized welding. He said there were some pretty tight regulations on the procedure. All I know is this stuff is bad.

Comment

A good read for anyone working with metals and heat: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

Comment

is it ok to weld galvanized/zinc/cadium with a 3m p100 respirator on?

Comment

Here is the 3M respirator selection guide: http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...66SbFFCOrrrrQ-

Has all sorts of different hazards and which respirator to use for them.

And here is their guide to welding safety products: http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...666b7ECOrrrrQ-

Comment

P100 filters

P100 cartrages are a HEPA filter, meaning 100% Particulate filtration. The other designations listed on the cartrage will let you know what the cartrage filters. There should be a reference chart for the abbrevations on the cartrage that comes with the product instructions. I don't use 3M, but the North 'Defender' is a all round type cartrage. It will protect you from almost everything as long as it's used properly. I'm sure 3M makes a cartrage of this type. The downfall of this type of cartrage is that it doesn't last as long as one designed for just one type of application.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.