Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishing rod holder for truck bed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing rod holder for truck bed

Tired of broken fishing rod tips from sliding coolers and loose items in the bed of the truck, I decided to make a rod holder.

It is made out of:
    - 2" 316L stainless steel 0.065" wall
    - 3/8" 316L Round stock
    - 1/2" stainless schedule 40 pipe

I used a Miller 211 with tri-mix gas and 0.023" 308L wire. Spray application.

Really nice I made one of those for the garage but I really like the idea of putting one in the truck.

Comment

What did you use to cover the pipes egde?

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
        What did you use to cover the pipes egde?

Door edge molding. I am open to new ideas though. It is split on top, so I'm not sure how long it will last. Any other suggestions?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...lding/_/N-25l0

Comment

Nice! Nice way to show off those shimano Calcutta's too

Comment

Very nice work. Maybe you can try some plastidip protective coating on the edge.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I've never used it but just a thought.

Comment

Nice, can't beat stainless. Here's some caps/ plugs , see if there's any you like.
              http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...17&FORM=IQFRBA

Comment

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
                Very nice work. Maybe you can try some plastidip protective coating on the edge.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I've never used it but just a thought.
                Great idea! Thanks. I think the gun metal gray would look good.

Comment

I know this is an old post but that's really nice work. I've been wanting to make one but unfortunately I don't have a welder at the house. I'm gonna see if my instructor will let me buy some material to make one while I'm in class. If all goes well hopefully ill have a picture to show it off in a few days. Great work!

Comment

Thanks! And good luck with your build. I look back now at all that free time and equipment and tools that were available to me during shop class in high school, but I was too busy chasing girls to make good use of it. I wish I had that shop now!

Comment

I know! I just started thinking about it and in like two weeks ill be out of high school and more than likely not be able to make anymore projects for a while. I asked my instructor today if he would let me build it and he said I could next week, free of cost. (He usually doesn't let us make any projects). So next week once I make it ill upload a pic here

Comment

Sorry it took so long but if anyone wanted another idea for a fishing rod holder that's cheap here is mine. The original poster's holder is what I originally wanted, but I didn't have the materials in class.

Comment

Sorry you can't really see it. But it's just steel rod bent to a sharp "J" shape and welded on a piece of angle and bolted to the tool box. I put shrink wrap on the hooks for a little padding.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.