Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller CP 200 3 phase to single phase help??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller CP 200 3 phase to single phase help??

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and need some help. I bought a used Miller CP 200 welder, Serial # JE795169, has Millermatic S-52e wire feed set up to run 3 phase. I do not have 3 phase in my pole barn, I DO have 220 hook up. I was checking on transformer and was expensive . I have heard that I can rewire this 3 phase into single phase to run on my standard 220 set up.. Can anyone help with this, or send me to site that would explain how to rewire ?? I do not have a manual for this machine, Inside of side cover has electrical diagrams ( 2 ) but I do not know how to go by these to rewire unit.. Any help would be appreciate......Thanks - Bill W.

You cannot rewire this unit to single-phase. I own one also. It's in storage until I have 3-phase power again.

It is not recommended to run this unit with a phase converter either, though I have heard reports of some doing it.

Comment

3 phase power

Hello, Thank you for your input. I just had 100 amp power hooked up to my pole barn, What what I have heard, if I want 3 phase power I would have to have another power line run to my barn ??? from the power Co. is that correct ?? thanks again, Bill

Comment

Yes, it will require 3 wires (plus the neutral), at least one of which will have to come all the way from the nearest pole that has 3-phase available. It will also require that they replace your transformer with a 3-phase. Everything involved is usually expensive, and sometimes they just say no.
        Last edited by MAC702; 06-30-2006, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I know this thread is really old, but thought I'd toss in a little update...

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          You cannot rewire this unit to single-phase.

It CAN be run, with full output and excellent results, off of single-phase. It takes a LITTLE MORE than rewiring, but not a difficult job. Here's how:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-phase-199832/

Comment

Hey Dave good to see you on the clean side of town.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.