Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing Toe Out on John Deere Tractor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Toe Out on John Deere Tractor

This week we fixed a John Deere tractor for a local church, which had toe out on the front steering. The toe out made difficult to steer straight and wore off all of the tread on the left front tire. It looks like while in service the tire hit something and most likely bent various components including the tie rod. The tie rod was a complex bend with an angular orientation between the two ends, so I chose to shorten the shaft by cutting off in the middle and welding it back together in a straight portion of the shaft, instead of bending it in two places to make it shorter. Before cutting I scribed a line along the shaft so that I could align it after welding. The tractor with the repaired tie rod is shown in the last picture.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
    This week we fixed a John Deere tractor for a local church, which had toe out on the front steering. The toe out made difficult to steer straight and wore off all of the tread on the left front tire. It looks like while in service the tire hit something and most likely bent various components including the tie rod. The tie rod was a complex bend with an angular orientation between the two ends, so I chose to shorten the shaft by cutting off in the middle and welding it back together in a straight portion of the shaft, instead of bending it in two places to make it shorter. Before cutting I scribed a line along the shaft so that I could align it after welding. The tractor with the repaired tie rod is shown in the last picture.
    nice repair, should hold up well. alot cheaper than trying to find & buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.