Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop press

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop press

Anybody have one of these Harbor Freight presses? Are they worth buying instead of building one? They look super simple to fab up, didn't check on materials price yet. THANKS!

For the money, they aren't bad. Again, for the money, grab an air/over hydraulic jack in the proper size to replace the manual jack. As I said, for the money they are okay, but you may wish to rebuild sections of the press to add some tolerences to the action, otherwise the press is on the sloppy side unless the table can be clamped totally stationary. Those presses are far from precise, but for the money and the time it would take to gather, cut and weld up a better quality unit it may be the best available option.

BTW, the base, if you can call it that, is by far the weakest link on the entire press. I've replaced the base on mine with some rectangular box beam and casters. Doesn't help in the least as far as the presses action goes, but it does make it easier to move around the shop and not have to worry about the press tipping over when you are working with it.

Comment

I agree with WyoRoy. I bought 20 ton for 150.00 with coupon. I made a break for it and it does what I need. I have no problem bending 1/4''x 4'' flat stock.
      Worked great to straighten bend 36'' pipe wrench handle too. At the time I
      couldnot buy material for that money plus the time.

Comment

not bad for the money. I beefed up mine and made a brake. Works great, no problem on 1/4" plate

Comment

I agree with Roy 100%. I also changed mine over to air over hydraulic 2 years ago and still ask myself why I didn't do it earlier.

Hey Roy, .... that spool gun is still running great.

Comment

Originally posted by diverbill45 View Post
            Hey Roy, .... that spool gun is still running great.
            Glad to hear it Bill!

Comment

Shop press

Ray C & BD1- how exactly did you set up your brake from the press? Premade die tooling?
              Thanks,
              Doug

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.