Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Bike Exhaust Pipe Dent Remover

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike Exhaust Pipe Dent Remover

Two stroke dirt bike exhaust pipes are constantly getting dented. They are usually paper thin so just about any kind of rock, log or knee will dent them.
    There are a few methods on removing the dents of which I have tried a few over the years.
    This project is the pressure and heat system.
    The ali members cost $12.00 including cutting.
    Then it was just drilling, tapping and Tigging.

First stage complete I am off to get the hardware required.

Ji
    Attached Files

How does it work?

Comment

Dirt Bike Exhaust Pipe Dent Remover

Looks nice

Comment

Thanks for the kind words SSPracing

Ji

Comment

Picked up the hardware and assembled.
          Looks pretty good.
          Do a pressure test tomorrow.

Ji
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
            Picked up the hardware and assembled.
            Looks pretty good.
            Do a pressure test tomorrow.

Ji
            NICE!! Keep Us posted.

Comment

Hi GeeMfg,
              Thanks for the kind words.
              As I do testing I will post.

Ji

Comment

I finally had some time and a few pipes that needed some love. With the dent remover attached and set at 40psi I heated the dent area with map gas. A few minutes later all gone. This fix is not the best due to the dent was on a welded seem. Still a pretty good result.

Ji
                Attached Files

Comment

The second pipe had a double dent but away from the welded seems. Took very little time to pop out and a much nicer result.

Ji
                  Attached Files

Comment

How does that attach and seal to the pipe to hold pressure? Can you post a photo of the gadget attached to the pipe? Thanks!

Comment

Okay by popular demand we have extended Pipe Monday to Pipe Tuesday.
                      This is dangerous and if you try this you may lose property or life. I do not recommend this proceedure.

That said lets go.
                      This is another pipe that needed some love but this time just dents no cracks.

Ji
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Jigantor; 06-03-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

On the end of bike pipes is a flange make sure the three fixing bolts are fixed below the flange so the yoke will not fly off when pressurised. With the three bolts try your best to centre the pipe and make sure an amount of the pipe protrudes past the yoke.

Ji
                        Attached Files

Comment

Then bolt the cap with rubber seal attached onto the yoke. Do this for both ends. Make sure the bolts are tight and the pipe has bitten into the rubber seal.

Ji
                          Attached Files

Comment

Before you pressurise the pipe make sure you point the caps away from people, animals and property. With the compressed air hose attached and the ball valve in the closed position slowly open the ball valve paying attention to the gauge. Do not allow the pressure to exceed 40psi. When the heat is applied the internal pressure will rise naturally to around 60psi. If there is an air leak at the seals that is not large that is okay as your compressor will keep the internal pressure at 40psi. it there is a large leak go back and start again.

Ji
                            Attached Files

Comment

Make sure before applying the heat that all paints and surface treatments have been removed. Apply Map gas to the ridge of the dent in a circular motion. Again make sure the caps are pointing away from anything that could be hurt or killed, this is like a gun and should only be pointed down range. As the pipe heats to a red colour you will see the pipe pop. It is very sutle.

Ji
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.