X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearhead
    started a topic Running Mig welder off a generator

Running Mig welder off a generator

I'm going to be making a small trailer and put my stick or Mig welder on the trailer. I also need a generator to run the welder. I seem to be working on a great deal of farm equipment lately and need to take the welder into the fields to do the work. Do I need a certain kind of generator to run a 220 welder. How many watts does the group suggest.

Also does anyone have plans for a small trailer or has any thoughts on the axil and wheel set up..

• flukecej
    replied
    Bobcat 225 for $2600 is a steal.

The Bobcat 225 is $3677.00 Miller List and selling for $2902 + change at Cyberweld.com. It is a wonderful generator/welder. It would run the MM200 no problem, with the correct plug. I would get the Bobcat and keep the MM 200 and sell the lincoln 225 especially if the Miller Rep is willing to sell the Bobcat at $2600.00, an absolute steal.

The portability of the MM200 with bottle, especially if larger than 120 cu. ft. would be problematic. Also, the use of MIG out in the field is a problem with any kind of wind blowing. I use a MM200 in the shop all the time and have to be very aware of the wind conditions outside, especially here in the Texas Panhandle. Shield gas and moving air do not mix. But if you are seting up a trailer to haul a welder(s) on you may also be hauling oxygen and accetylene as well, another bottle wouldn't be hard to accomodate.

The Bobcat 225 is already setup to run MIG/TIG and AC/DC Stick in its design. The mig option is really meant to be accomplished by use of a Suitcase feeder such as the 8VS or X-Treme 12VS, not plugging in a fully integrated machine as the Millermatic 200. The Bobcat does have the power to run the MM200, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

This of course is my $0.02.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY
    replied
    Michael (diesel mechanic)

I just orderd an enine driven welder. I orderd the traailblazer 302. I am a diesel mechanic and I started doing services outside of my shop. After researching the Trailblazer 302 looks like the way to go for mobile welding.

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied
    I would let it go for $700.00 it is in good shape. But shipping will kill you....

Leave a comment:

• fyoung
    replied
    WHAT U TAKE 4 THE 200mm

Originally posted by gearhead
    Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve
    Hi, I was wondering what shape your MM200 is in and what is the least you would take for it?
    I've been looking for a good one that I can afford.
    Thanks, Farris

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Just to make your math a little more accurate, use 120V and 240V, as these are what these generators actually produce in most all cases.

Also, you shoot for 80% loading, so if you have 2000W available, you try to only load it to 1600W, as a general rule.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    helpfull math

I hope I can add a little help in the form of some math, most generators list themselves by their surge and running watts, and most welders talk about Amps and voltage. You can figure out your compatability through the simple equation: Watts = volts X Amps

So a Millermatic 175 with a 220 voltage and a 20 amp draw would need a 4400 running (not surge) watt generator.

Remember surge amps are just to get things going if you try to run the surge rated draw off a generator for too long and you'll fry it all.

The equation also doesn't take into account and ressistance loss, so give yourself some "room" and buy a generator of greater capacity than exactly what the equation works out to.

PS the equation also works in reverse, I used to be in the professional lighting buisness and this is how we figured out how many lights we could plug in before tripping breakers Watts (total wattage of all lights on a circuit) divided by 110volts = the size circuit breaker that better be in the breaker pannel.

2000 (20 one hundred watt light bulbs in a strip light) / 110 volts = 18.18 amps so a 20 amp breaker should hold and allow for a little safety space.

Leave a comment:

• wldrman
    replied
    Bluestar 6000

I have a Miller Bluestar 6000. This is a great machine. They no longer call it this, but I believe the new model is basically the same thing. It will only supply 30Amps on the 220 outlet. It does have 6000 watts though. I run my 110v mig, a small contractors compressor when I need to run my plasma.

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied
    Thanks for the information. I just talked to a Miller sales rep just to get some information about the welder/generators. The sales rep did his best to talk me into a Bobcat 225 (I belive it was) for around $2,600. I mentioned the Hobart but he just kept coming back to the Bobcat 225, best in the county you know the pitch. I like Miller but to much money in this case. Going to sell my Millermatic 200 and put the money toward the Hobart.

MAC702 thanks for your help in this decision. I will let you know what I do.....steve

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    For that size machine, the Hobart is basically the same thing as a Miller; you know they are the same parent company, right?

I think it solves both of your problems and leaves you a little money left over:
    Last edited by envano; 01-29-2007, 03:28 PM. Reason: Invalid Link

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied
    Around the $1,500 mark, I was not aware that Hobart had one that cheap. I was looking at Miller or Lincolin...

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    If you're going to tell us something is too expensive, you can help us out by telling us your budget.

The Hobart welder/generator I linked in post #2 costs $1200 brand new and shipped to your door with no sales tax.

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied
    I thought about that, but the cost would be very expensive. I have been looking around for a good used one, but nothing yet. With a generator/welder I would rather go with a new one instead of taking a chance on an older one with a tired motor. I was considering selling the Millermatic 200 to make some extra cash to buy a new generator/welder.
    Last edited by gearhead; 06-27-2006, 04:19 AM. Reason: lack of information

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    So since you need a generator anyway that can support a welding machine, why not get an engine-driven welding machine that doubles as a generator? The welding power will be more efficient and the whole package will be lighter since there won't be a transformer involved.

Leave a comment:

• gearhead
    replied
    I did some work for a couple of friends who have a small farm near where I live. Since then I have had numerous calls from other farmer in my area who want equipment welded up. Some of the implements are pretty good size and difficult to move to my house for the repairs. If I build a trailer and can run a couple of different welders off a generator than I can make shorttime of the fix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X