Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving out the garage into a shop?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out the garage into a shop?

I'm being offered a small shop about the same size as a 2 car garage at my go to mechanics shop. Its hidden behind his building. He's asking 500 with all utilities included.
    CONS: HAS ONLY A MAN DOOR 36" WIDE.
    ITS HIDDEN NO STREET VIEW.
    RURAL SETTING. 2 MILES OUT OF CITY.
    PROS: LARGE PARKING LOT.
    HEATER FOR THE WINTER MONTHS.
    LOTS OF TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAY UP FRONT.
    with the winter months around the corner. And work slowing down I have my doubts.
    Most all my income comes from truckers
    Repairing frames & aluminum fuel tanks.

Edit: As of now I'm only mobile. A shop setting would be good change. Having work come to me instead of me chasing it all over town.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012, 10:40 AM.

dang, that 36" door sounds like a deal breaker. for that square footage and no door to speak of, $500 doesn't sounds like that sweet of a deal.

Comment

shop

Here's a picture of the lot there's a large concrete pat in front if the shop. Maybe
      20'x40'. I could build a carport?
      Attached Files

Comment

What is your location ? What kind of power does it have ? What kind of heat ?
        Is there a bathroom ? Any other places available with overhead door or doors ?
        What someone ask and what he gets are two different things. Sounds like outside work on trucks is gonna be cold . What would he say about trucks being parked or stored in back ? Maybe you could rent it with the rear parking lot and rent truck trailer parking to offset the 500.00 ? I would look around and check craigs list.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1:292195
          What is your location ? What kind of power does it have ? What kind of heat ?
          Is there a bathroom ? Any other places available with overhead door or doors ?
          What someone ask and what he gets are two different things. Sounds like outside work on trucks is gonna be cold . What would he say about trucks being parked or stored in back ? Maybe you could rent it with the rear parking lot and rent truck trailer parking to offset the 500.00 ? I would look around and check craigs list.
          Its Hermiston Oregon
          220v & 120v
          Heat is from an oil stove
          Yes theres a full bathroom
          with shower stall.
          Hermiston is in a farming setting
          Theres two major freeways. 182 & 84
          I've looked at possible shop. And are either around 2k monthly. Or for sale.
          Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Would the owner be mad if you installed a roll up door?

Comment

I plan on asking. On a roll up door. Like the ones found on metal sheds or self storages.
              Theres one for sale near here at 350 obo. Its a 10x8 self contained roll up. I'd would just need to frame it in. Would I cover the cost of the roll up and installation. Or could I maybe get it deducted from rent how's that work.
              Last edited by eecervantes83; 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Oregon ! sorry,that's out of my area. Cutting a door in sounds better if you can deal on it. Would you be able to have a storage trailer out there ? That may help
                work things out if you need to free up floor space. Sounds like all you need is a microwave and you can move in. Might be a home away from home; if the wife girl friend throws you out. I'm looking forward to the postings. Good luck

Comment

Have you checked the zoning in this town? Is this property zoned for light industrial? Maybe it doesn't matter where you are but I would check before you make a deal to move in. Don't forget you will need insurance also. Any truck work will be outside on the slab. A two car garage gets full real quick but it would be a start.

Will your customers want to bring you work instead of you going to them? How much of your work now would actually fit in the shop as apposed to doing it outside on the pad?

Comment

Yes there's enough parking room out there. I could fit 3-5 trailers if I had to.
                    I'm going to be speaking with the owner tomorrow. On lowering the rent & putting in a larger door. Other than being hidden. Its not a bad spot just outside city limits.

Comment

Being hidden can have it's advantages also. You are not retail so drive by shoppers are not likely anyway. You can do almost anything you want without worrying about someone complaining. Not having people just stop in to chat & check it out. Where I am from zoning, regulations & compliance are very common things that get people in trouble.

For instance say you need to pimer something you are building/repairing. Not something you usually do but this job needs it. Someone might complain if you were in full view of the street & saw you painting without a booth.

Comment

Go For IT!

Sounds like a really good start (as long as you get a "Real" garage door). Agree with others, check zoning, make sure you can do what you do! You MUST be able to put a Large sign out near the Highway, or you might as well work out of your garage! I have been there, done that, and the worst move I made (believe it or not) was a move to a location that had no visibility "Traffic". Sure it was 6000 sq. ft. high ceilings, 14' doors, could drive a entire rig through the shop, and it was only 625.00/month, BUT, and this is a big BUT! I had no visibility, no area for signage, banners, etc. and therefore, no business. Moved from there to a place on the highway, that was a third of the size, and I now have plenty of business!
                        Good Luck!

Comment

Didn't speak with the owner. Was on a job site all day. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better chance. I'll ask about putting a 3x5
                          Sign up by the curb on either direction. A few feet of the grounds. To get the ball rolling. Any other suggestions.

Comment

That sign sounds too small. Try reading a sign that size while you are driving by it at 50 mph. A good sign has to be big enough to read easily by someone driving by at 50 or higher speed. It's a waste to put up a small sign that can only be read by someone standing still 10' from it. If your shop can't be seen from the street your sign will be the only way to show people who you are and where you are located. It needs to be much larger with attention getting colors so it's easy to read quickly from a distance.

Charley

Comment

Being behind a building, make sure you can really secure the place. Most thieves work best where they can't be seen and there is not much light. Your equipment is you biggest investment. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.